Anbar (IraqiNews.com) A civilian was killed, while two others were wounded due to a blast caused by the remnants of Islamic State militants in west of Anbar, a security source said on Monday.
Speaking to BasNews, the source said, “an explosion caused by the remnants of IS in al-Mazraa region in Qaim town, on borders with Syria, left a civilian killed and two others seriously wounded. They were taken to hospital.”
Security services, according to the source, combed the region fearing further bombs that could be there in the region.
The source also added that troops managed to detonate hundreds of bombs and booby trapped houses in several regions across Anbar, however, there are still huge amount of bombs that need international efforts as well as devices to reveal the places where they are hidden and remove them.
A total of 115 Iraqi civilians, excluding policemen, were killed and another 250 injured in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict in Iraq in January 2018, according to casualty figures recorded by the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI).
Baghdad was the worst affected governorate, with 323 civilian casualties (90 killed, 233 injured). Diyala followed, with 8 killed and 15 injured; and Nineveh, with 13 killed and 7 injured.
As many as 3,298 civilians were killed and 4,781 others were wounded in 2017, excluding Anbar civilian casualty figures for November and December, which are not available, UNAMI said in a report in December.
Kuwait (Iraqinews.com) – A number of Kuwaiti and international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) have pledged a total of USD 330.130 million in support of the humanitarian situation in Iraq during a conference that kicked off earlier in the day in Kuwait.
According to KUNA, the donor NGOs included the Kuwaiti Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affair, as well as the Zakat House and the Awqaf General Secretariat (USD 35 million), along with Al-Salam Humanitarian and Charity Society of Kuwait (USD 15 million), and the Kuwaiti International Islamic Charity Organization (USD 10 million).
Also, the Kuwaiti Aid Society, Al-Najat Charity, Direct Aid Society, Al Eslah Society and the Society of the Revival of Islamic Heritage have donated USD 10 million each.
Outside Kuwait, the International Committee of the Red Cross pledged USD 130 million in programs, while the Human Appeal of the UK donated USD 30 million. Also, the Qatari Education Above All Foundation pledged USD 13.5 million.
The NGOs Conference to Support the Humanitarian Situation in Iraq kicked off early on Monday to tackle the latest developments in the humanitarian situation.
It coincided with Kuwait’s hosting of the International Conference for the Reconstruction of Iraq.
The one-day conference, which is being held under the patronage of Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and the Kuwaiti government, is attended by a group of speakers representing around 70 regional and international humanitarian organizations , 25 Iraqi institutions and 15 Kuwaiti organizations.
Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) The Central Bank of Iraq (CBI) currency auction on February 12 registered $197,498,160 in sales, a 1.63% volume increase from the US $194,322,309 sold by Iraqi Dinar, credit and transfer at the previous auction held on February 11.
The latest auction was attended by 45 banks and 9 remittance companies. The same institutions attended the auction held on February 12 compared to the previous auction.
Data for the February 12 auction was made public by CBI Announcement Number 3633.
Dollar sales in the in the period January 1, 2018 to February 12, 2018 saw an increase of -1% compared to the sales of US $4.48 billion in the same period in 2017. The total amount of US currency sold by CBI in the calendar year 2017 was US $15.7 billion.
An analysis of the monthly dollar sales by CBI since January 2016 reveals highly fluctuating volumes. During the period from January 2016 to February 2018, sales of US dollars averaged US $1.8 billion per month. Peak volumes were reached in May this year when sales touched US $2.3 billion.
US DOLLAR SALES IN BILLIONS
INCREASE/(DECREASE) COMPARED TO THE PREVIOUS MONTH
It’s a helluva risky business writing a column about Barnaby Joyce at the moment. Not because he’s doomed and you might find him rolled out of office like a dangerously bulging tin of deeply dodgy potted meat before you can get the piece to your editor. He’s doomed, but it’s a slow motion train wreck. He’ll probably last until the weekend.
No, it’s risky because just when you think you’ve got this thing nailed down, it gets worse.
Barnaby Joyce is doomed. Now, it’s just a matter of when.
Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
It started out as gossip of a purely personal nature. Joyce, now and forever to be known as The Beetrooter thanks to some cruel and magnificent bastard on Twitter, was rumoured to be cheating on his wife. Given his willingness to not just cast aspersions on other people’s private lives, but to punitively legislate against them, that was enough for a lot of punters to call him out on social media. But it wasn’t enough for the Press Gallery in the real media, and they’ve been throwing themselves an awesome pity party ever since.
For all of the high-minded journalistic waffle about private lives being private (unless, you know, somebody like Joyce decides to pass laws about them) and the need to verify rumours before writing news, it turned out there was plenty of crunchy and nutritious news value to be had in the Beetrooter’s shenanigans.
This bloke wasn’t merely sipping from the hypocrite drip because he put himself about as a staunch defender of family values while betraying and humiliating his family. He was an even bigger hypocrite, because having banged the drum about welfare cheats and bludgers, he’d lined up a series of cushy and very well paid jobs for his girlfriend. Plus they were living rent-free in a townhouse provided by a millionaire businessman, and renovated by the federal government to meet upgraded security standards.
You’d think this would be enough to finish the bloke off, especially since while he was enjoying his rent free love shack he was lecturing the rest of the country about why they should be ashamed of themselves for wanting to live in Sydney when he was happy to live in Armidale, because it was cheaper.
Much, much cheaper as it turns out. Who would have thought the solution to the housing affordability crisis was for millionaire property owners to let us live at their place for free. (Answer: socialists, communists, deluded idiots of that sort, I suppose).
But even that egregious and head spinning instance of grotesque hypocrisy is not the rancid cherry on top of the shit sundae of this story.
No, that would be Malcolm Turnbull insisting yesterday that there was nothing wrong with giving the Beetrooter’s pregnant lover a high paying job, and then moving her to another high paying job when that didn’t work out, and then finding a third, sweet, cushy gig when the second one fell through because, get this… she wasn’t actually his partner.
She was pregnant, and they were living together. But she wasn’t his partner because…
Allow me to assist you, Prime Minister. She wasn’t his partner because shuffling her from one ministerial staff job to another might be a breach of the rules.
She wasn’t his partner because an ever-growing number of government ministers would be implicated in that possible breach.
She wasn’t his partner because that would make it very difficult, not just for the Beetrooter to hold onto his job, but for you too, Prime Minister.
And while all this is going on?
Thousands and thousands of innocent, law-abiding punters are being swept up by the very same government’s robo-debt programs and threatened with criminal sanction if they don’t pay back money they never owed in the first place.
It’s not often you get to see the raw, naked ugliness of the power imbalance between the masters and their serfs, but it’s out there for everyone to see this week.
I just hesitate to file this column because I wonder what’s coming next.