12 Hassm members arrested possessing weapons

Flag of Egypt.svg

The Ministry of the Interior has recently arrested 12 terrorists from the Hassm movement in Fayoum who were in possession of weapons and ammunition, according to a ministry statement on Tuesday.

The National Security Agency received information that Muslim Brotherhood leaders abroad instructed members of its armed group Hassm, in Fayoum, to intensify their “hostile activities” to destabilize the country, the statement added.

The arrested Hassm members were planning a series of attacks against police officers, the judiciary and the armed forces, according to the statement.

Those arrested possessed 13 different types of weapons and two explosive devices.

The suspects admitted to joining Hassm, and receiving high-level training on the use of weapons and the manufacture of explosive devices.

They also confessed to being assigned to monitor security installations, police stations, and prisons to attack them, as well as scheming the assassination of police officers and public figures, according to the statement.

One of the seized weapons was used in an attack against a judge in Matay, Minya, on May 22, 2015, said the statement.

The suspects were referred to the State Security Prosecution for interrogation.


Source  :  Egypt Independent

Minister of Education comes under fire during parliament session, unfinished schools

Flag of Egypt.svg

Minister of Education Tarek Shawky received fierce criticism from his fellow MPs during the House of Representatives general session on Monday, over the semester delay of the Egyptian-Japanese schools.

The Education Ministry announced last week postponement of the school year until all the Egyptian-Japanese schools were completed and furnished. The ministry did not give a time estimate for the building completions.

The Egyptian-Japanese education project is the result of a mutual agreements signed between the two countries, in which Egypt benefits from the Japanese educational system by applying the curriculum in 45 state-run schools. The semester for the schools was previously scheduled to begin this current fall semester, which began last month.

Shawky was summoned to the parliament after 40 Early Day Motions were submitted on education and schools problems.

Egyptian MPs said that education quality is declining, along with a shortage of teachers.

Shawky said that he met President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi a few days ago, and that the president had demanded the school openings be postponed to next year all over Egypt, rather than the just the currently selected areas.

the MP said that his ministry started a new program for the renaissance of education, and his ministry approached every problem in an isolated way.

He added that during his meeting with Sisi they discussed a larger plan to reform education. Both parties agreed  the current education system is hard to fix, and the plan should start from scratch in 2018.

The new education plan includes three axes, which the president will announce during the Sharm al-Shaikh Youth Conference.

Shawky said the plan is a reflection of the dream to build the knowledge of the Egyptian student. The first axis of the plan is changing the Thanaweya Amma (high school) system.

The minister said that the budget of the Ministry is LE 80 billion, LE 68 billion of which goes to salaries and wages. He added that follwing the current education system with the remaining budget could be easy, but he had chose the harder route, to change it.

Edited Translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm


Source  :  Egypt Independent

Comprehensive health care program to begin in 2018, says Health Minister

Flag of Egypt.svg

Egypt’s Minister of Health and Population Ahmed Emad said Monday that 2018 will witness the launch of a comprehensive health care system, which will be applied for all Egyptians at a high degree of efficiency.

In statements to al-Masry al-Youm, Emad said that the current health care system only covers 58% of the population, and the rest, 42% of the population, have no health care umbrella. He added that the law with the new system will cover all people with a high quality of care.

He added that the new system would eliminate the soaring prices of medical services in the private medical sector, as the prices set in the new system would help adjust market prices to a great extent.

Emad said that the big challenge in the new system is the quality of service with stable financing.

He added that the draft law on the system is in the final stage of revision, and the government would send it to the parliament within a few days.


Source  :  Egypt Independent