Mariners playmaker Danny De Silva was the star of the show as Western Sydney Wanderers came from behind twice to draw 2-2 with Central Coast in Hyundai A-League Round 2.
The pint-sized Mariner stood out in an entertaining clash at Spotless Stadium on Saturday, scoring arguably the goal of the season to date.
STORY OF THE GAME
- After an impressive opening 20 minutes from the visitors, the Mariners took the early advantage. Asdrubal making it two goals in as many weeks for Paul Okon’s side.
- Connor Pain had a super chance to make it 2-0 shortly after but his tame shot was kept out – the Mariners were to rue this miss
- A Wanderers penalty got the home side back in it to 1-1 minutes later.
- Mariner Danny De Silva lead the Wanderers a merry dance and it was his brilliance that helped the visitors take the lead just after the hour mark with arguably the goal of the season.
- The Wanderers were soon back on level terms but it was the Mariners who looked more likely to find a winner.
- Andrew Hoole picked up a second yellow with five minutes left in regulation time, and with De Silva subbed off late, the visitors stayed compact and held on for their first point of the season.
Asdrubal, Mariners 20’: 0-1
Roux was found wide, and the Kiwi burst into the box, cut it back and Hoole with plenty of time got a shot off, Janjetovic spilt it and the Spaniard was Johnny on the Spot to guide the ball home.
Riera, Wanderers 38’: 1-1
Wout Brama was adjudged to have brought down Roly Bonevacia and the Spanish central striker hit it low past Tom Glover’s left glove.
De Silva, Mariners 62’: 1-2
Goal of the season? De Silva started the move by picking up the ball in his own half. He found Andrew Hoole in the channel and burst through. Hoole held it up, then slid the ball through for the onrushing De Silva who picked up the ball then dinked it over the keeper. The ball was guided home by a defender on the line but it was all about De Silva’s brilliance.
Bonevacia, Wanderers 68’: 2-2
Risdon’s low cross wasn’t cleared by Tom Glover who pushed the ball out to Bonevacia to smash home the loose ball.
Source : Football Federation Australia Website