Adam Taggart’s late goal helped Perth Glory earn a point in a 2-2 draw with Newcastle Jets at McDonald Jones Stadium in front of almost 15,000 fans in the Hyundai A-League Round 2.
On a pristine surface and in perfect conditions, the Jets weren’t quite at the level of last week’s 5-1 win but they were within minutes of a win.
However, their former striker Taggart with two super strikes ensured the honours would remain even.
And with 14,833 fans in attendance, the Jets are clearly riding a wave of support in Newcastle with striker Roy O’Donovan now on four goals for the season.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Glory hit the opener inside the first 10 minutes while the Jets struggled to find any fluency in front of a large and expectant crowd.
- But the Jets hit back on the half-hour mark courtesy of their main man, O’Donovan.
- And with the last play of the half Daniel Georgievski fluffed a good chance to give the hosts a 2-1 lead.
- But it came shortly after the break. Kantarovski with the go-ahead goal on the hour mark much to the delight of the big home crowd.
- However their former hero Taggart found the net with a perfect header in time added on to make it 2-2.
Taggart, Glory 7’, 0-1
Castro with the inch-perfect low cross and Taggart angled his effort past Duncan for a clinical opening goal by the former Jets striker.
O’Donovan, Jets 30’, 1-1
Vargas in the attacking third found Nabbout wide and his low cross was just right for O’Donovan who slid it past Reddy from straight in front.
Kantarovski, Jets 60’, 2-1
A scrappy goal as a free kick is sent to the far post where Topor-Stanley’s header hits the post and Kantarovski pokes home the rebound
Taggart, Glory 90 +2, 2-2
Harold sends the cross into the box and Taggart unleashes a brilliant header across Duncan and inside the left post.
Source: Football Federation Australia Website