Migration, deportation: Time for enduring action

Flag of Nigeria.svg

In recent times, there   have been several reports of deportation of Nigerians from different parts of the world, including neighbouring African countries. The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons, NAPTIP, report revealed that   about 1,134 Nigerians illegally residing abroad have been forcefully returned home this year. They were deported from Libya, Saudi Arabia, the United Kingdom, Mali, the United States and some member countries of the European Union. The figure may increase because many countries   are increasingly becoming intolerant of other nationalities due to internal economic crises and global   recession. Rise in the incidences of xenophobia may also contribute to this. Most of the deportees are youths and young adults under the age of 45years.. The motivation for unending migration has largely been attributed to the prevailing harsh economic situation in the country and search for self-imagined better opportunities abroad. Unfortunately, many have drowned in the Mediterranean in their desperate bid to get to Europe through Libya and other North African countries. Those who are not deported sometimes fall victim of xenophobic attacks and extra-judicial killings. Others are languishing in various prisons abroad over sundry offences, sometimes bordering on trumped up charges. The Federal Government’s youths empowerment and poverty alleviation scheme appears insufficient to address the unemployment situation in the country. A lot more still needs to be done in this regard to reduce the migration of young Nigerians in search of elusive golden fleece abroad. Nigeria is a big brother in Africa. It is a national embarrassment for her citizens to be deported from countries that should be looking up to Nigeria for assistance. Hostile treatment meted out on Nigerians in foreign lands, especially fellow African countries, constitute a serious indictment on the nation and its leadership. It diminishes our posturing as the largest economy on the continent. The Federal Government   should be more proactive in tackling the daunting challenge of youths unemployment. The age bracket of the deportees is disturbing, considering the army of unemployed young persons in the country. There should be a sustainable scheme that guarantees job creations and employment opportunities for the youths. There should be a conscious   enlightenment     programme geared towards encouraging young people to have faith in the country’s potentials. Urgent steps need to be taken to reduce the figure that put the rate of youths unemployment at 14.2% in June 2017. The statistic has risen for nine consecutive quarters, according to the National Bureau of Statistics. We commend NAPTIP, NEMA, the International Organisation for Migration, IOM and others for their unwavering commitment in preventing illegal migration and   rehabilitating   deportees. We urge them   to   partner with relevant private organisations for more effective operations. We call on the Federal Government to live up to the responsibility of encouraging young Nigerians who have no business going abroad to stay at home.

Source  :  Vanguard Nigeria

FG to provide insurance for ranch operators

Flag of Nigeria.svg

Abuja – The Federal Government says it will henceforth provide insurance and agro-rangers for ranch operators to curb cases of cattle rustling and farmers/herdsmen clashes across the country. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo said this at a 3-day National Conference on the Transformation of the Livestock Industry in Abuja on Tuesday.

Osinbajo, represented by Chief Audu Ogbeh, the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, noted that the 3,000 agro-rangers had been adequately trained to protect animals and the livestock from rustlers. He expressed regret over the increasing number of cattle lost to rustling across the country.

The vice president said the rangers would be posted to ranches at no cost to the beneficiaries. “On our part, for those who want to go into ranching, here is the good news; we have heard how many of you have lost money, 300 cows in one night to rustling. “We have now put together a new security group called the agro-rangers.

These rangers are being trained by the ministry of interior, they are heavily armed. Three thousand of them are being trained. “If you start a ranch or you have a big agricultural project, approach us, we will post them to you at no cost to protect your investment.

“We do not want you to go into ranching only to hear one night that all your cattle were taken. We intend to give you insurance cover because we consider this industry serious.

“We need prosperity in that sector because we know that if it thrives, a great deal of good will be done to our country,’’ Osinbajo said. On his part, Ogbeh said that agriculture was not only a government affair but also a private sector business.

He said the country had no fewer than 19 million cows, noting that the number was less when compared to other countries. The minister, who noted that the livestock sector had been neglected over the years, said that growing grasses was a way of managing the sector. “At the end of this conference, we will take the recommendations and seriously begin to implement them. “We are talking with the World Bank and African Development Bank to see how they can help us. There is no way ranches will survive without grasses. “We want this fight between farmers and herdsmen to stop and it must stop,’’ Ogbeh said. Gov. Samuel Ortom of Benue, said the state was in the process of setting up ranches to develop the livestock sector. The governor, represented by his deputy, Mr Benson Abounu, regretted that modern and scientific methods were not been adopted in livestock production, hence the dwindling of the sector. Ortom, who described open grazing of cattle as `uncoordinated’, said that ranching was necessary to improve the quality of beef and livestock production in the country. Gov. Abubakar Bagudu of Kebbi, called on all stakeholders to assist herdsmen to develop ranches in order to reposition the livestock sector. Bagudu called for a better funding scheme to transform the livestock industry in the country. Also speaking at the conference, Dr Eric Igwe, the Ebonyi State Deputy Governor, said that juveniles were allowed to rear cattle in the state hence, the lack of control of the animals. He said that legislation was underway in the state to curtail the act. The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Alhaji Muhammed Bello, said that 220 veterinary doctors and 12 animal health officers had been engaged in the FCT to enhance animal health. The minister, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Mr Chinyeaka Ohaa, said the ministry had instituted plans to allow only live animals for slaughter in the FCT to stem the sale of contaminated meat. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that 3-day conference was attended by stakeholders from the agriculture sector across the country. (NAN) GINI/AFA

Source  :  Vanguard Nigeria

Nnamdi Kanu’s home not under siege – Nigeria army

Flag of Nigeria.svg

By Anayo Okoli. UMUAHIA—THE Nigeria Army has denied that the home of the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu was under siege. According to Deputy Director, Army Public Relation and Information, 82 Division, Colonel Sagir Musa, no soldiers were deployed at the home of the IPOB leader. The Nigerian Army Col. Musa who spoke in Umuahia when visited by the Abia State Council of NUJ which was attacked by some overzealous soldiers, also said that the Operation Python Dance [Egwu Eke] was not targeted at anybody but aimed at tackling the security situation in the South East zone. Musa who regretted the action of the soldiers said he came to apologize for the action of the soldiers. He said the General Officer Commanding 82 Division, Maj. Gen. Adamu Baba Abubakar sent him to tender the apology even as he promised that the soldiers involved in the act would be fished out and sanctioned appropriately. Col. Musa said that the GOC was so disturbed by the incident that he immediately detailed to go to Umuahia to meet with journalists and appeal to them for calm as the army was on top of the situation. “It is regrettable that this ugly incident happened to a group of people I have known and worked with since 2010-2011 when kidnapping was at its peak in the state and I would not want that cordial relationship to be spoilt. “I am in Umuahia on behalf of my boss Mag. Gen. Adamu Baba Abubakar who is the general officer commanding, GOC, 82 Division, Enugu, to express our concern over what happened today (yesterday) which is not the normal way we operate. “I want to assure you that all those who took part in the action against journalists will be fished out and dealt accordingly. The Operation Egwu Eke (Python Dance) will commence from 15th of September to 14th of October and the exercise is not targeted at any group. “The exercise is targeted at all security flash points in the entire South East geopolitical zone which is the reason behind the army show of force; particularly it is targeted at kidnappings, armed robbery, cultism, insurgency and session agitators”, Col. Musa said. He insisted that there was no military siege at the home of the IPOB leader and that the Egwu Eke operations was not targeted at Nnamdi Kanu or any person or group[s]/ In his response, the Vice Chairman of the Council, Ezeogo Boni Okoro said that it was a shame that the military would invade the NUJ state secretariat over flimsy excuse that journalists were taking pictures of the show of force convoy. Okoro said that he was slapped, gun cocked at him while his iPad and the phones of his colleagues were smashed by the soldiers and called on the military hierarchy to rein on their junior men and to also fish out those behind the dastardly act and deal with them accordingly.

Source  :  Vanguard Nigeria

Côte d’Ivoire: Yacouba Soro installé à la tête du Conseil d’administration de l’interprofession du coton

Flag of Côte d'Ivoire.svg

Yacouba

© Autre presse par DR 
Yacouba Soro installé à la tête du Conseil d’administration de l’interprofession du coton
Le nouveau président du Conseil d’administration de l’Interprofession agricole de la filière coton de Côte d’Ivoire (Intercoton), Yacouba Soro, a pris officiellement fonction mardi à l’issue d’une passation de charges avec son prédécesseur Lacina Tuo, lors d’une cérémonie au siège de l’organisation à Abidjan

Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire) – Le nouveau président du Conseil d’administration de l’Interprofession agricole de la filière coton de Côte d’Ivoire (Intercoton), Yacouba Soro, a pris officiellement fonction mardi à l’issue d’une passation de charges avec son prédécesseur Lacina Tuo, lors d’une cérémonie au siège de l’organisation à Abidjan.

L’ancien président, a dans un discours, félicité le nouveau patron de l’Intercoton et lui a souhaité « bon vent » pour sa mission. Il l’a rassuré, en tant qu’administrateur dans le nouveau Conseil, de sa disponibilité et de son appui dans la réussite de son mandat.

M. Tuo qui quitte la présidence du Conseil d’administration de l’Intercoton après 9 ans, s’est réjoui d’avoir permis que l’interprofession du coton soit « reconnue par l’Etat et respectée par les bailleurs de fonds ».

«L’Intercoton est devenue un modèle pour la sous-région », a-t-il ajouté. Pour lui, c’est dans la synergie des acteurs de la filière que de nouveaux challenges pourront être réalisés et surtout au profit des paysans.

Le nouveau président du Conseil de l’Intercoton, élu le 29 août 2017, a souhaité que « l’intérêt de la filière soit le moteur de toutes les actions » afin qu’il n’y ait pas « empoignades » entre les égraineurs, les paysans, les transformateurs et l’interprofession agricole.

La Côte d’Ivoire a produit 328.000 tonnes de coton lors de la campagne de 2016, en hausse de « 18.000 à 20.000 tonnes ». Pour la campagne à venir, le pays compte accroître sa production de « 25.000 à 30.000 tonnes » pour atteindre 350.000 tonnes.

PIG/ap/ls/APA

 

abidjan.net

Chasse aux ’’microbes’’: Des tirs de gaz lacrymogènes signalés à Yopougon Siporex

Flag of Côte d'Ivoire.svg

Affaire

© Ministères par DR 
Affaire des enfants ’’microbes’’ à Yopougon: Toute la commune quadrillée par les Forces de l’ordre
Vendredi 14 août 2015. Le Préfet de police d’Abidjan, Yao Kouamé Joseph rassure sur le dispositif sécuritaire mis en place pour sécuriser la commune depuis le décès d`une jeune dame à Yopougon-Niangon. Ph : Yao Kouamé Joseph, préfet de police d’Abidjan

Des tirs de gaz lacrymogènes ont été constatées ce mardi 12 septembre 2017 au carrefour « Siporex » dans la commune de Yopougon.

Les forces de Police ont fait usage de gaz lacrymogènes ce mardi 12 septembre 2017 dans le quartier Siporex à Yopougon. Selon des témoins, cette action s’inscrit dans le cadre de l’opération de sécurisation entamée depuis quelques jours par la Police nationale

abidjan.nbet