AUGUST 10 2017 – 11:09PM
The cleanliness and quality of food served in Brisbane has been questioned more than 1000 times since April last year.
The latest food safety complaint data, for April to June 2017, revealed 213 complaints were made – 109 about food premises and a further 104 questioning if the food was unsafe or caused infection.
From April 2016 to June 2017, the Brisbane City Council received 1166 complaints relating to food safety – 568 about food premises and 598 about unsafe food and infection.
Suburbs that attracted the most complaints were Brisbane City, Fortitude Valley, South Brisbane, Upper Mount Gravatt and Inala.
- Council’s Lifestyle and Community Services chairman Matthew Bourke said the council carried out more than 6400 safety inspections in the past year.
The council insists the city’s food businesses must meet strict food safety standards.
- “Each and every complaint made to council about food safety is investigated with an inspection, and food businesses are not allowed to continue operating if they present a health risk to the public,” he said.
“Last year council issued seven suspensions for breach of food safety standards and issued 86 fines totalling $54,673.
“During the same period, council finalised 11 prosecutions of previous food safety breaches, resulting in $274,500 of court-ordered fines.
“Brisbane has more than 7500 registered food businesses and approximately 1000 of these hold a five-star EatSafe rating.”
- In February 2017, Fairfax Media revealed 41 restaurants across Brisbane had been prosecuted for food breaches in the past year, with some offences dating to 2014.
Residents concerned about food safety can contact the council on 3403 8888 or visit the council website.
Source : The Brisbane Times