August 09 2017 01:49 PM
Qatar Airways is evaluating whether it will use air routes which media reports said were opened this week by the siege countries, the airline’s chief executive Chief Executive Akbar al-Baker said Wednesday.
Qatari-owned aircraft are blocked from using the airspace of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates as part of the blockade enforced by the four countries in June.
Qatar Airways is studying “the flexibility and benefit” of one “very short route” while another route off the Egyptian coast was “useless” to the airline, Chief Executive Akbar al-Baker said at a Doha press conference.
Al-Baker did not say where the short route was located or when the airline would decide if it would use the routes.
The United Nation’s aviation agency said on Aug. 8 Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates had agreed to open some of its airspace to Qatari aircraft, according to media reports.
Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt and the UAE severed ties with Qatar on June 5, accusing it of supporting militants. Qatar has denied the allegations.
The airspace closures have forced Qatar Airways to fly longer routes, prompting Doha to call for the UN’s International Civil Aviation Organization to intervene.
Delivery of Airbus A350-1000s this year
Al-Baker said it would deliver its twin-engine passenger jet, the A350-1000, this year to the Middle East carrier. Qatar Airways, the launch customer of the A350-1000, has previously cancelled four of the smaller version A350-900 aircraft, citing delays in deliveries.
“Airbus has assured us we would receive our airplanes, though late, but we will receive it before the end of the year.”
Source : Gulf Times