Qatar rejects accusation of trying to destabilize Bahrain

Flag of Qatar.svg

17 Jun 2017 – 15:44

Qatar rejects accusation of trying to destabilize Bahrain

QNA / Anadolu Agency

Qatar on Saturday denied accusations of attempting to undermine security in neighbouring Bahrain.

On Friday, Bahrain’s official TV channel broadcast a phone call allegedly between Hamad bin Khalifa al-Attiyah, Special Advisor to Emir and Hassen Ali Mohamed Jumaa, a leader of Bahrain’s opposition Al-Wefaq movement. The agency accused Doha of meddling with Bahrain’s internal affairs.

In response, the Qatari Foreign Ministry said in a statement the phone call was part of Qatari efforts to mediate between the Bahraini authorities and opposition in the wake of the 2011 unrest in Bahrain.

The ministry described the broadcast of the phone call as “an exposed naive attempt to twist the facts and take them out of context.”

The statement said the contacts had been made “with the approval and knowledge of the authorities in Bahrain”.

“Then Qatar Prime Minister and Foreign Minister H E Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jabor Al-Thani in the presence of the late Foreign Minister of Saudi Arabia Prince Saud Al-Faisal visited Bahrain and briefed the King about all the efforts by Qatar in this regard.

“The Qatari mediation stopped after the decision of military intervention to disperse the protests and sit-ins,” the statement said, referring to the decision to send Saudi-led forces to quell the protests.

“Bahrain was aware of these contacts as standard telephones in Bahrain were used and they never raised this issue as a point of disagreement in the past, especially during the crisis in 2014 when ambassadors were recalled,” statement added

The statement wondered why these contacts were not released in 2011 in the same way they were announced now.

“Taking a part of the phone call and broadcasting it in these controversial circumstances among current tensions provides compelling evidence of targeting Qatar and attempting to impute charges to it. It is also a disavowal of its efforts aimed at ending the unrest and enhancing the security and stability of Bahrain,” Foreign Ministry’s statement stressed.

The statement affirmed Qatar’s continued and permanent commitment to all the principles laid down by the GCC and stressed that the policy of Qatar is based on the principles of good neighbourliness and non-interference in the internal affairs of all countries.

 

Source  :  thepeninsulaqatar.com

Deixe um comentário

Preencha os seus dados abaixo ou clique em um ícone para log in:

Logotipo do WordPress.com

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta WordPress.com. Sair / Alterar )

Imagem do Twitter

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Twitter. Sair / Alterar )

Foto do Facebook

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Facebook. Sair / Alterar )

Foto do Google+

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Google+. Sair / Alterar )

Conectando a %s