Why are domestic airfares more expensive than international?

11:50 AM Monday Sep 12, 2016

Flag of New Zealand.svg

Why does it cost so much to travel domestically by air? Photo / Mark Mitchell

Why does it cost so much to travel domestically by air? Photo / Mark Mitchell

The price of international airfares are dropping like stones – so why is it still so expensive to fly a short distance to New Zealand’s regional hubs?

Airfares between Europe and New Zealand have hit a record low, with Malaysian Airlines offering a return ticket to London for $1259 between the dates of April 1 to May 31 next year.

The price per kilometre for that journey works out to be roughly 6 cents per kilometre flown.

While the cost of domestic airfares has decreased slightley in recent years, the price per kilometre for an hour long flight across the country is roughly double the cost to head 18,000km to the other side of the world.

The Herald looked into the cost of flying from Auckland to five regional cities and found that the average price to fly 1km domestically was 13 cents.

Increased competition is known to bring down the cost of international flying, but Air New Zealand spokesperson Anna Cross said there are a number of other determining factors including passenger demand and fuel, airport landing and navigation costs.

“Generally speaking, larger jet aircraft have more seats and the overall operating cost per seat per kilometre is lower and shared between considerably more customers,” Cross said.

As the demand for regional routes is generally lower and operate smaller aircraft, this is likely to be the reason why.

The price of travelling to Europe on premium airlines, such as Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand has decreased 15 per cent this year, according to House of Travel marketing director Ken Freer.

“This year’s competitive pricing from premium carriers is fantastic news for Kiwis, whatever your preferred travel style. When you couple these deals with favourable exchange rates, it is a great time to be a Kiwi traveller – travel just keeps getting cheaper,” he said.

Cost of Air NZ return flights to the regions:

Source – New Zealand Herald

‘This is going to be a term of delivery’: Tony Abbott pops his head up again

SEPTEMBER 12 2016 – 8:39AM 

Michael Koziol

Flag of Australia.svg

Former prime minister Tony Abbott is maintaining his high-vis presence in national media, using morning television to cement expectations of “a term of delivery” for the Turnbull government.

Two days shy of the anniversary of his ousting as prime minister, Mr Abbott said “a lot of good things have happened over the last year”, but declined to directly answer whether Malcolm Turnbull had been a “good prime minister”.

“There was a good two years followed by a good 12 months, an election win, and now we have got three years to get on with governing,” he told Channel Nine’s Today program as politicians returned to Canberra on Monday.

“As Prime Minister Turnbull says, this is going to be a term of delivery,” he continued, in what could be seen as an ultimatum to his flailing successor.

Like his former chief of staff Peta Credlin last week, Mr Abbott identified the Coalition’s narrow election win as Mr Turnbull’s main achievement since taking the leadership – though he also said the government had “done well” in the key domain of economic management.

“It was always going to be tough to win the election. We did win the election. That’s a credit to the prime minister,” Mr Abbott said. “He’s now prime minister in his own right. And this, as Malcolm Turnbull keeps saying, is to be a term of delivery.”

He declined to reflect on how he personally felt a year on from being dumped as PM, insisting “it’s not about me” and arguing the best thing to do was to “get behind the Turnbull government and … help a good government to succeed”.

The Turnbull government has been criticised as a weakened and dithering administration, having floated and sunk several tax reform initiatives while presenting a limited post-election agenda.

Tony Abbott in the House of Representatives during the chaotic final hours of the previous sitting week of Parliament.
Tony Abbott in the House of Representatives during the chaotic final hours of the previous sitting week of Parliament. Photo: Andrew Meares

Mr Abbott emphasised the election had given the government a mandate to reintroduce the Australian Building and Construction Commission and tighter union governance controls – both Abbott-era priorities that had stalled in the Senate.

Monday’s television appearance, ostensibly to promote next year’s Pollie Pedal charity bike ride, followed a media blitz by the former PMlast week while Mr Turnbull was overseas at a series of global summits. He presented a prescription for reform of political donations, said the government had established the Northern Territory royal commission “in panic” and publicised his annual visit to remote Indigenous communities.

<i>Illustration</i>: Cathy Wilcox.
Illustration: Cathy Wilcox. 

Also on Monday, Ms Credlin published a stinging column in The Australian in which she labelled the prime minister “a bitter disappointment” who had lost the Coalition its moral authority.

“Once so loved in the seats that don’t determine elections, he’s now reviled in those that do,” she wrote.

Ms Credlin was highly critical of Mr Turnbull’s media strategy, calling it Sydney-centric and neglectful of the Coalition’s base.

The government will attempt to get some runs on the board this week as it proceeds with its “omnibus” budget savings bill and plans for a plebiscite on same-sex marriage.

 

Source : The Canberra Times

Koreans in Japan visit Pyongyang

Koreans in Japan visit Pyongyang

Kim Yong Nam (R), North Korea’s ceremonial head of state, meets with a congratulatory group of Koreans in Japan to celebrate the 68th founding anniversary of the communist country at the Mansudae Assembly Hall on Sept. 11, 2016, in this photo released by the (North) Korean Central News Agency. Pyongyang marked the anniversary on Sept. 9, when it conducted its fifth nuclear test, drawing condemnation from across the world. (For Use Only in the Republic of Korea. No Redistribution) (Yonhap) (END)

Source : Yonhap News Agency

North Korea is ‘single most significant danger’ for next U.S. president:John Negroponte

By Chang Jae-soon

WASHINGTON, Sept. 11 (Yonhap) — North Korea is the “single most significant danger” that the next U.S. president will face, a former top U.S. diplomat said Sunday, calling for greater efforts to curb Pyongyang’s nuclear and missile programs.

Former Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte (Yonhap)

Former Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte (Yonhap)

Former Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte issued the caution in a radio interview after the communist North carried out its fifth nuclear test, just eight months after its fourth test in January. It was the first time the regime has conducted more than one nuclear test in a year.

“I think this is the single most significant danger that the next administration is going to face,” Negroponte said. “Something is going to have to be done about the continuing developments of North Korean nuclear and ballistic missile capabilities.”

Negroponte, who also served as director of national intelligence and ambassador to the U.N., also said that resolving the issue will take more than a U.N. Security Council resolution or more sanctions, adding that those measures have failed to curb the North’s weapons ambitions.

“We’re gonna have to find a way to really come to grips with this situation so that someday we don’t wake up and learn that the North Koreans have shot a missile that has reached the continental United States,” Negroponte said.

Jonathan Pollack, a senior expert on Korea at the Brookings Institution, also said that the issue of the North’s nuclear and missile programs will be “a lead item” that the administration of President Barack Obama will bequeath to his successor.

The communist nation is seeking to get the outside world to take its weapons programs as a fait accompli, the expert said, pointing out some unusual points in the North’s announcement of its fifth nuclear test conducted Friday.

“North Korea announced the latest test not through governmental or diplomatic channels, but from technical personnel affiliated with an organization identified as the Nuclear Weapons Institute of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea,” Pollack said in an article on the institution’s website.

The institute made a very specific claim that the test was of “a newly researched and manufactured nuclear warhead” and that the purported warhead was now standardized and could be utilized on an array of ballistic missiles, he said

“Until now, Pyongyang had described tests of its nuclear weapons by a variety of names but never as a warhead,” he said. “It clearly wants the outside world to conclude that its weapons capabilities are now an established, irreversible fact.”

The North’s nuclear and missile testing of recent weeks and months gives them “added urgency that cannot be ignored,” he said.

“It will also be a lead item that the Obama administration — despite its repeated efforts to curtail North Korea’s weapons programs through increased cooperation with all affected states — will bequeath to the next president,” Pollack said.

jschang@yna.co.kr

(END)

Source : Yonhap News Agency

O PT quebrou Minas Gerais -Ensino Médio teve pior desempenho desde 2005

Bandeira do estado deMinas Gerais

O nível de aprendizado dos estudantes do terceiro ano do ensino médio das redes pública e privada de Minas Gerais atingiu o pior desempenho em dez anos. Os dados do Índice de Desenvolvimento da Educação Básica (Ideb) relativos a 2015, divulgados ontem pelo Ministério da Educação, revelam que o Estado teve a pontuação mais baixa desde o início da avaliação, em 2005. O resultado alcançado no último ano foi de 3,7 e está um ponto abaixo da meta de 4,7 estabelecida para o período.

681 mil alunos estão matriculados nas escolas públicas estaduais de Minas Gerais, de acordo com os dados do Censo Escolar de 2015

Na mesma faixa de ensino, a educação mineira caminha lado a lado com a média nacional. A pontuação relativa às escolas do Brasil também foi de 3,7.
O nível de aprendizado do ensino médio em Minas nas duas redes vem caindo desde 2013. A maior pontuação alcançada foi em 2009: 3,9. A nota se manteve na edição de 2011, mas caiu nas duas avaliações seguintes. O desempenho brasileiro, porém, nunca sofreu redução. Apesar disso, essa é a terceira edição consecutiva em que o país segue com o mesmo placar no indicador.

Para o especialista em políticas educacionais e professor da PUC Minas Carlos Roberto Cury, o desempenho negativo dos estudantes é resultado, entre outras coisas, da falta de uma base homogênea e consensual para todo o país. “Desde o fim da década de 90 que esse período escolar passa por uma série de revisões e arranjos em busca de uma melhoria no ensino. Hoje, essa previsão de melhoria está no Plano Nacional de Educação, discutido por profissionais e gestores de todo o país”.

A unificação do ensino passaria, necessariamente, por duas vertentes distintas, porém complementares. “É preciso que sejam feitas revisões curricular e do método de ensino. O estudo para o jovem com mais de 15 anos tem que ser atrativo, interessante, e responder às necessidades dele, e isso tem relação com mudanças curricular e didática”, avalia.

Apesar de ressaltar que o retrato do ensino apresentado pelo Ideb com base na média obtida pelo somatório das instituições deve ser levado em consideração, o pesquisador alerta que é preciso observar também as questões individualizadas. “Cada rede, pública e privada, deve se atentar para suas particularidades e trabalhar essas questões distintas. Apenas assim será possível pensar em uma política nacional para atacar os problemas”.

Particular

Resolver essas questões, aliás, é o que o presidente do Sindicato das Escolas Particulares de Minas (Sinep), Emiro Barbini, pleiteia. A situação não é das melhores na rede. Por aqui, as instituições privadas nunca alcançaram a meta, apesar de o índice estipulado ser quase dois pontos maior do que o do ensino público. “É preocupante. Além de não alcançar a meta, houve queda em relação à última pesquisa. É uma obrigação nossa estar acima da média, trabalhamos para isso”. Segundo ele, haverá uma reunião com as escolas para traçar estratégias e reverter a situação.

A Secretaria de Estado de Educação irá comentar o resultado somente hoje; em nota, a pasta informou que, como não houve divulgação preliminar dos dados para os Estados, a análise deles só foi possível após a publicação pelo MEC na tarde de ontem

Levantamento

O Ideb é o maior índice de educação do país. As notas são calculadas de acordo com o desempenho dos estudantes das redes pública e privada nas avaliações de português e matemática da Prova Brasil, considerando a taxa de aprovação. O indicador, divulgado a cada dois anos, avalia separadamente três séries: o 5º e o 9º anos do ensino fundamental e a última do médio.

O Sindicato dos Professores das Escolas Particulares avaliou o desempenho como resultado da mercantilização educacional do ensino médio

Quinto ano do nível fundamental da capital bate a meta pela quarta edição seguida

Ao contrário das notas em queda observadas nas séries mais altas, o 5º ano na rede municipal de Belo Horizonte superou a meta estabelecida pelo Ideb para 2015, que foi 5,9. No ano passado, a capital mineira obteve nota 6,1.

Essa foi a quarta vez seguida que a rede, que tem cerca de 190 mil alunos, consegue ultrapassar a meta. Para a secretária municipal de Educação, Sueli Baliza, os bons resultados são frutos de um plano de metas estabelecido para cada unidade escolar.

“Entre o final de 2014 e o início do ano passado, trabalhamos com um plano de melhorias. Cada escola faz um trabalho específico visando melhorar os índices. Além disso, procuramos saber o motivo de os estudantes estarem ou não em sala de aula e como está a situação de cada um deles”, frisa.

Ruim

Por outro lado, depois de bater as metas nos levantamentos de 2009, 2011 e 2013, o 9º ano não conseguiu atingir a nota desejável em 2015. O índice alcançado ficou 0,1 abaixo do proposto, que foi de 4,9.

O resultado, de acordo com Sueli Baliza, será estudado e ações serão adotadas. “Numa primeira avaliação, acreditamos que a queda seja em função do fluxo de alunos em sala de aula. Quando vamos atrás do estudante faltoso, reunimos elementos para entender o motivo de ele não estar frequentando a escola”, explica.

Apesar do resultado ruim neste ano, a secretária destaca que existe um planejamento que abrange as duas séries de ensino. “O plano é comum para toda a rede. Nos reunimos no final de cada ano para conversar com os gestores, como os diretores. A partir daí, cada escola adequa as diretrizes para a sua própria realidade.

Fonte: jornal Hoje em Dia

Site Minas de Verdade

O PT quebrou Minas Gerais – Fechamento de empresas cresce 38,8% no Estado

Bandeira do estado deMinas Gerais

Foram 22,401 mil extinções registradas entre janeiro e julho deste ano

A extinção de empresas em Minas Gerais cresceu 38,8% de janeiro a julho em relação ao mesmo período de 2015, sob impacto da crise econômica nacional e das facilidades para concluir o processo implantadas desde 2014. As constituições de negócios, por sua vez, que vinham com queda até junho, também aumentaram, neste caso 8,3%, mostrando um sinal de melhores expectativas dos empreendedores mineiros em relação à situação futura do País.

De acordo com dados da Junta Comercial do Estado de Minas Gerais (Jucemg), a extinção de empresas no Estado no acumulado do ano até julho totalizou 22,401 mil processos contra 16,133 mil no mesmo intervalo do exercício passado, um crescimento de 38,8%.
A diretora de Registro Empresarial da Jucemg, Lígia Xenes, explicou que, além da situação econômica do Brasil, a entidade vem trabalhando desde 2008 para facilitar as conclusões do processo de extinção de negócios. “Desde agosto de 2014, a Jucemg adotou a isenção de certidões negativas para o fechamento de empresas. Com isso, muitos negócios que fechavam as portas, mas não formalizavam o processo antes, passaram a concluir a operação”, afirmou.

A abertura de empresas em Minas entre janeiro e julho deste ano também cresceu. No período, a constituição de empreendimentos somou 23,502 mil sobre 21,693 mil nos mesmos meses de 2015, uma alta de 8,3%. Para a diretora da Jucemg, a capilaridade da Junta, com 120 unidades espalhadas no Estado, e o registro digital também ajudaram a alavancar o resultado.

Os processos de constituições de negócios também superaram os fechamentos em praticamente 5%. No entanto, no mesmo intervalo de 2015, essa proporção era 34,4% a mais para os processos de abertura, o que mostra que Minas continuam abrindo empresas, mas a extinção aumentou desproporcionalmente devido à crise.

Alterações – O número de alterações também evoluiu, neste caso 0,4% no acumulado de janeiro a julho na comparação com o mesmo intervalo do ano passado. Segundo Lígia Xenes, o maior volume de alterações em 2016 é resultado de empresas que estão conseguindo crescer.

Além disso, as alterações também acontecem em razão de licitações porque os empresários buscam esse nicho de mercado e os editais às vezes demandam mudanças nas empresas. Para a diretora da Jucemg, isso mostra que as empresas estão ativas e lutando para permanecer no mercado.

 

Site Minas de Verdade