Asian man sells Dubai maid into prostitution for Dh4,000

Marie Nammour
Filed on August 25, 2016 | Last updated on August 25, 2016 at 05.21 pm

Three Bangladeshi men faced a human trafficking charge for allegedly luring two housemaids into absconding from their employers and then forcing them into the flesh trade.

The Court of First Instance was told that a 24-year-old driver and a shepherd, aged 40, lured the maids into running away from their sponsors with promises of better paid jobs.

They helped them abscond by picking them up from the houses where they legally worked as maids.

However, once without jobs, the two maids were exploited and forced to work as prostitutes. The duo sold one of them to a 35-year-old plumber to sexually exploit her. The plumber allegedly raped her.

The case dates back to June last year.

One of the maids, a 33-year-old Indonesian, said she had been working for her sponsor in Ras Al Khaimah when one of the defendants (the driver) encouraged and helped her abscond. He picked her up and took her to a hotel where they had consensual sex before coming to Dubai.

In the house in Dubai, she saw an Indonesian woman, and two Bangladeshis. “A man (the plumber) told me I was sold for Dh 4,000. He told me that I would work in prostitution or I have to return that amount.”

As she did not agree the other man locked the door. “I started working and a man would drop me at another house and they deprived me of my freedom for three months”.

The victim added that the plumber had sex with her against her will.

“In September 2015, I felt severe pain in the waist so they took me hospital and gave me Dh 500 for treatment expenses,” she said.

She slipped away and lodged a complaint with RAK police.

Another Indonesian maid, aged 42, said she had been working for four months with her sponsor in RAK before she absconded with other maids after the main defendant (the driver) and his friend promised them with better jobs.

“They picked us up and took us to a motel. He booked five separate rooms”.

The next day the driver took them to Dubai where she was told she would work in prostitution.

However, two days later she seized the opportunity when the men were asleep to sneak out and report them to the police.

A police sergeant confirmed that in September last year one of the victims was referred to RAK police as a human trafficking victim.

The plumber admitted to a police lieutenant during questioning that he paid Dh 1,500 to buy one of the maids from the driver to make her work for him in prostitution. He also confessed he had sex with her twice.

“We arrested him on March 21. He confessed he locked the maid up in a house in Al Hamriyah,” the officer said.

The motel receptionist, a 35-year-old Indian, said during the investigation that the driver had been their regular client since 2012. “He would always come and each time with different women”.

mary@khaleejtimes.com

Boeing Delivers Advanced Satellite Communications Network to Mexico

Communications system enables voice and data services to all regions of the country

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Aug. 25, 2016 – Boeing [NYSE:BA] has delivered one of the world’s most advanced satellite communications systems to Mexico, one that opens high-speed data and voice communications to the entire country including some previously unserved areas.

After successfully completing its final tests, the Mexsat system was today formally accepted by the Ministry of Communications and Transportation.

Mexsat provides 3G+ voice and data services to mobile terminals on land, air and sea, enhancing the country’s national security, civil and humanitarian programs. The system is operated by Telecomunicaciones de Mexico (Telecomm) on behalf of the government.

“Boeing, working closely with the Ministry, has developed a state-of the-art, turnkey satellite system providing critical communications services throughout the country,” said Mark Spiwak, president, Boeing Satellite Systems International. “With more than 30 years’ experience building satellites for Mexico, Mexsat enhances an already strong relationship with an important customer.”

Boeing designed, integrated and delivered the system, which includes two satellites, two network and satellite control stations, associated network operations procedures and prototype user terminals. The final field tests were completed within 10 months following the launch of the Morelos-3 satellite. The tests involved exercising the 3G+ services such as voice calls, push-to-talk, internet video sessions, asset tracking, voice mail and text messaging over secure links to prototype terminals on ships, planes, vehicles, handheld devices and fixed sites.

In 2016 Boeing celebrates 100 years of pioneering aviation accomplishments and launches its second century as an innovative, customer-focused aerospace technology and capabilities provider, community partner and preferred employer. Through its Defense, Space & Security unit, Boeing is a global leader in this marketplace and is the world’s largest and most versatile manufacturer of military aircraft. Headquartered in St. Louis, Defense, Space & Security is a $30 billion business with about 50,000 employees worldwide. Follow us on Twitter: @BoeingDefense.

# # #

Contact:

Joanna Climer
Network & Space Systems
Office: +1 310-364-7113
Mobile: +1 310-227-3534
joanna.e.climer@boeing.com

 

Source : Boeing Website

Air NZ reports record profit, flags headwinds in period ahead amid growing international competition

An Air New Zealand Boeing 777-200ER at Sydney Airport. (Rob Finlayson)

Air New Zealand has flagged tougher times ahead after reporting a record full year profit in 2015/16 as competition both at home and abroad heats up.

The New Zealand carrier said net profit after tax for the 12 months to June 30 2016 came in at NZ$463 million, up 42 per cent from NZ$327 million in the prior corresponding period and the best result in the airline’s 76-year history.

Earnings before taxation and other significant items, which excludes one-off charges and was regarded as the best indication of financial performance, rose 70 per cent to $NZ806 million, Air New Zealand said in a regulatory filing to the New Zealand stock exchange on Friday. It was the fifth straight year of earnings before taxation growth and in line with company guidance issued in February.

That run is forecast to end in 2016/17, with Air New Zealand guiding the market to expect earnings before taxation was forecast to decline by up to 50 per cent to between NZ$400 million to NZ$600 million in the current year, based on current market conditions, a fuel price of US$55 per barrel for the remainder of the year and the “uncertain impact of competition”.

Over the past two years, Air New Zealand has been in expansion mode, with long-haul services toBuenos Aires, Houston and Singapore launched in recent times and flights to Osaka and Ho Chi Minh City taking off in 2016 as the airline sought to take advantage of the strong growth in visitor numbers to New Zealand.

Other carriers are also keen to tap into the the local tourism market – Emirates recently commenced daily Auckland-Dubai flights, adding another option to Europe, the Middle East and Africa, while American and United (in partnership with Air NZ) started new nonstop service from Auckland to their respective US west coast hubs in Los Angeles and San Francisco, respectively.

A bit closer to home, there has been a slew of new fifth-freedom operators on the Tasman, with AirAsia X, China Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Emirates and, from September, Singapore Airlines offering an alternative to the Air NZ/Virgin Australia and Qantas/Emirates/Jetstar offerings.

And in its home domestic market, Air NZ is facing a big push from Qantas-owned Jetstar, which has started serving regional routes with a fleet of five 50-seat Dash 8 Q300s.

Air New Zealand chief executive Christopher Luxon said the company was facing two “headwinds” in the year ahead, namely the end of some fuel hedging benefits and the increased level of competition in the market.

“There’s no doubt customers have more choice but we are confident that we have the right pricing, products and services to stay a step ahead of the competition as we grow our business at home and overseas,” Luxon said in a statement.

Further, Luxon said in the company’s annual shareholder review the airline had a history of “adapting quickly and responding appropriately to changes in the market”.

“Now is no different,” Luxon said.

“One of the important short-term levers we have available is capacity management, and the flexibility to adjust short-haul and long-haul routes if demand levels are not keeping pace with supply.

“We have begun exiting our remaining Boeing 767 fleet and will continue to focus on achieving greater efficiencies from our simplified fleet structure and across our business, which will partially ease some of the pressure on earnings.”

To that end, the airline’s four remaining Boeing 767-300ERs were expected to be withdrawn during the second half of 2016/17, according to a slide presentation accompanying the financial results. Also, the last three 19-seat Beach 1900Ds would be leaving by the end of August.

In other fleet movements, the Star Alliance member said it would receive three more Boeing 787-9s, bringing to nine the total number in the fleet, in 2016/17, while one Airbus A320 and two ATR 72-600 turboprops would also be arriving.

Air New Zealand said it expected its domestic capacity to grow between seven and nine per cent in 2016/17 as it upgauged some regional routes, added more services between the major cities and introduced night flights to Queenstown. It said there would be a “similar competitive environment to 2016” in its home market.


The use of the larger 787-9 to replace some 767 services would result in a three to five per cent lift in capacity on the airline’s trans-Tasman and Pacific Islands network, with the competitive pressure expected to “persist in 2017”.

Meanwhile, Air New Zealand said it expected the “competitive pressure was expected to increase” on the airline’s international long-haul services, as the airline absorbed the full year impact of new US flights from Auckland and new services to the Middle East and China from foreign carriers. The airline has guided the market to capacity growth of between four and six per cent, compared with 16 per cent in the prior year.

The company booked an NZ$86 million loss on its sale of 19.98 per cent of Virgin Australia shares to China’s Nanshan Group. Air New Zealand kept a 2.5 per cent stake in the Australian carrier.

Air New Zealand declared a fully imputed final dividend of 10 NZ cents per share, as well as a fully imputed special dividend of 25 NZ cents per share from the disposal of its Virgin stake.

 

Australian Aviation

ACCC issues draft determination approving extension of Virgin-SIA alliance for five more years

Singapore Airlines and Virgin Australia.

Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines look set to renew their alliance for a further five years after a draft ruling from competition regulator gave extending the tie-up the green light.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) draft determination published on Thursday said the partnership “had resulted, and is likely to continue to result, in material public benefits” including new routes, more online connection options and the promotion of competition.

Further, the ACCC said the partnership was also likely to bring about “small public benefits in the form of operational and other efficiencies which may be passed through to consumers in the form of lower fares or better services”.

“The ACCC is satisfied that the Alliance is likely to result in a net public benefit and proposes to grant authorisation,” the draft determination said.

SIA and Virgin’s application for renewal, lodged in May 2016, had called for re-authorisation for a 10 years.

However, the ACCC said five years was a more appropriate term, given the “ongoing evolution of services between Australia and the United Kingdom and Europe and between Australia and Asia, including Virgin Australia’s proposed expansion of services into Asia, and the dynamic nature of the aviation industry”.

“The ACCC considers it appropriate to review the authorisation earlier than the requested 10 years. For this reason, the ACCC proposes to grant authorisation for five years,” the ACCC said.

Virgin Australia general manager for alliances Phil Squires welcomed the ACCC draft decision and said the alliance with SIA offered choice and competition for Australians with better connection times, more direct routes and innovative loyalty options.

“Our alliance with Singapore Airlines not only stimulates competition on routes from Australia to Asia and Europe but also promotes competition for Australian passengers generally by providing them with a viable alternative choice of carrier for their combined domestic and international travel,” Squires said in a statement.

While Virgin does not operate to Singapore with its own aircraft, the airline has proposedmounting flights to Beijing and Hong Kong from June 1 2017 in partnership with Hainan-based HNA Group.

The ACCC said SIA’s flights to various Asian points from Australia via Singapore “do not provide a significant competitive constraint”.

“Where both airlines operate indirect services to destinations in Asia, there are a number of rival airlines providing services to those destinations which are likely to constrain the ability of the Applicants to raise prices or reduce services,” the ACCC said.

First approved in 2011, Virgin and SIA have been able to work together on schedule planning, capacity, pricing, revenue management, sales, distribution and marketing, frequent flyer offerings as well as purchasing and procurement.

SIA is also a major shareholder of Virgin and has a seat on the Australian carrier’s board.

In their May application, the two carriers said they would develop systems to better recognise their high value guests travelling on each other’s networks and flagged the use of data analytics to offer an improved customer proposition and services to customers, helping increase passenger numbers and earned revenue.

Submissions to the ACCC in response to the draft determination were due by September 9.

Meanwhile, the ACCC draft determination noted it had yet to receive an application from Virgin and HNA seeking approval to form an alliance.

 

Australian Aviation

Mark Skidmore resigns as CASA CEO and director of aviation safety

CASA Director of Aviation Safety Mark Skidmore AM (CASA)

Mark Skidmore has resigned as the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) chief executive and director of aviation safety (DAS) after less than two years in the role.

In an email to staff on Thursday, Skidmore said the decision to step down was made for personal reasons.

“I have decided the time is right for me to make this move. I came on board at CASA to lead the organisation through a period of significant and difficult change and I am very proud of what we have achieved through the transformation program,” Skidmore said in the email.

“We have been able to reshape the way CASA operates and delivers its services in a positive way.

“It is an appropriate time for me to hand over the leadership as CASA moves through the next phase of its improvement program.”

Skidmore, who has been in the job since January 2015, will stay on until October as CASA begins the search for a new director of aviation safety and chief executive.

CASA said “interim acting arrangements” would be announced shortly, while the process to appoint a new chief executive and DAS was expected to take between six and nine months.

During Skidmore’s tenure as chief executive and DAS, he undertook an organisational overhaul of CASA’s structure, forming three main groups – a stakeholder engagement group, an aviation group and a sustainability group – as part of the aviation safety regulator’s response to he Aviation Safety Regulatory Review (ASRR).

The retired RAAF Air Vice-Marshal has also sought to respond to the views of industry, including issuing a new timetable for regulatory changes, including those covering general operating rules, air transport operations, aerial work, continuing airworthiness and maintenance for small aircraft, small aircraft maintenance licensing, sport and recreational operations and unmanned aircraft.

Despite all this, there remained parts of the aviation community that expressed frustration at the slow pace of change at CASA.

CASA chairman Jeff Boyd thanked Skidmore, who was named a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) in September 2015, for his service.

“Mark has made an enormous and valued contribution to CASA and to aviation safety in this country,” Boyd said.

“This has included a number of significant improvements including restructuring the organisation, the development and implementation of CASA’s new regulatory philosophy and the implementation of just culture throughout the organisation.

“This has contributed positively to the way aviation regulations are developed and implemented in consultation with the aviation industry.”

Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester also thanked Skidmore for his service and wished him “all the best for the future”.

“CASA has undergone significant change under the stewardship of Mr Skidmore as the organisation works through the recommendations required in response to the 2014 Aviation Safety Regulation Review,” Chester said in a statement.

“I remain focused on working with the board and staff of CASA, in partnership with industry, to maintain and enhance our safety record and, just as importantly to support a viable aviation industry.”

 

Australian Aviation

BAE Systems secures Hawk sustainment contract extension

No 76 Squadron Hawk-127 aircraft conduct an aerial display during the No 76 Squadron Family day at RAAF Base Williamtown.

BAE Systems Australia has secured a two-year contract extension worth approximately $200 million for the ongoing sustainment the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Hawk 127 lead-in fighter fleet.

The company will now continue to sustain the Hawk fleet at RAAF Base Williamtown and RAAF Base Pearce until at least 2020, with further potential extensions available until 2026. 

The role includes all deeper-level and operational maintenance for the 33 aircraft.

“Securing this extension underscores the success of our longstanding partnership with the RAAF, and the performance of the 300 employees working on this program,” said Steve Drury, director for Aerospace at BAE Systems Australia. 

“Since 2013, BAE Systems’ support of the fleet has achieved all contract key performance indicators, including aircraft availability and overall fleet management.”

 

Australian Aviation