Going it alone on police bash claim

June 3, 2016

11:00am

The Mercury

alt text for flag

Adrian Lacroix outside the Supreme Court in Hobart. Picture: RICHARD JUPE

A TASMANIAN man who alleges he was assaulted by multiple officers in the Hobart police station last year has taken the unusual step of launching a private prosecution over the alleged attack.

Adrian Lacroix, of Howrah, yesterday fronted the Magistrates Court in Hobart to bring assault charges against four constables over his alleged physical mistreatment in October 2015.

Despite Director of Public Prosecutions Daryl Coates, SC, appearing in court to take over the prosecution and then electing to discontinue it, Mr Lacroix remains undeterred and yesterday afternoon filed a motion to review the decision in the Supreme Court.

While acknowledging that a private prosecution was not the typical path to justice, Mr Lacroix said he was determined to take a stand.

“It’s unusual, but I think it’s a public interest situation where every Tasmanian citizen has the right to safety, and the right to be treated respectfully,” he said.

“The DPP told the magistrate that he didn’t see the case succeeding, but that should be for a court to determine.

Deixe um comentário

Preencha os seus dados abaixo ou clique em um ícone para log in:

Logotipo do WordPress.com

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta WordPress.com. Sair /  Alterar )

Imagem do Twitter

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Twitter. Sair /  Alterar )

Foto do Facebook

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Facebook. Sair /  Alterar )

Conectando a %s

Este site utiliza o Akismet para reduzir spam. Saiba como seus dados em comentários são processados.