May 29 2016 – 5:06PM
The ACT government’s will extend the contracts of 26 community organisations, a recommitment that means $22 million in funding over the next two years.
The organisations, which include the YWCA, the Scout Association of Australia, and Belconnen Community Service Inc, each cater to young people and families.
The funding does not represent new or an increase in money. But Frances Crimmins, executive director YWCA, welcomed the announcement, which meant certainty for the organisation and its clients over the next two years.
At the YWCA, the money will allow staff to continue youth engagement programs in Tuggeranong, a therapeutic program for kids and families and network co-ordination for the region.
Ms Crimmins said both the community organisations and the government recognised the need for longer funding cycles beyond two years.
“Particularly when you want to measure the outcomes of that program,” she said.
Minister for Children and Young People Chris Bourke said the money would ensure vulnerable young people and families continued to receive high levels of support.
“These organisations provide holistic, wrap-around services for families and supports and services for vulnerable children and young people aged up to 25 years,” said Dr Bourke.
“This includes case management activities, group programs, youth engagement and therapeutic services, the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Youth Engagement Service and the Young Carers and their Families Engagement Support Service.
“We have recommitted our support to these organisations by extending our contract with them for a further two years until June 2018, which provides stability to these organisations and the people they support.”
The 26 organisations who received an extension:
- Anglicare NSW South, NSW West and ACT
- Australian Capital Territory Council of Social Service Inc
- Barnardos Australia
- Belconnen Community Service Inc
- Canberra Police and Community Youth Club
- Companion House
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Families ACT
- Girl Guides Association
- Gugan Gulwan Youth Aboriginal Corporation
- Lone Fathers Association
- Majura Women’s Group
- Migrant and Refugee Settlement Service of the ACT
- National Association for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect ACT Inc
- Northside Community Service
- Queanbeyan Multilingual Centre
- Relationships Australia
- Roman Catholic Church for the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn as Trustees for CatholicCare
- Scout Association of Australia
- Society of St Vincent de Paul
- The Smith Family
- The Uniting Church in Australia (Australian Capital Territory) Property Trust of UnitingCare Kippax
- The Young Women’s Christian Association of Canberra
- Tuggeranong Community Arts Association
- Woden Community Service
- Youth Coalition of the ACT
Source : The Canberra Times