North Korean ships play hide and seek

As the international community, including China, sets about sanctioning North Korean vessels in line with a U.N. resolution, North Korea is seen scurrying to counter the movement by deactivating identification devices on its ships and banishing them from the map.

China plans to bar North Korean boats currently docked at its harbors from returning to their home ports starting Thursday, Japan’s Sankei Shimbun daily reported Wednesday, citing traders traversing between the two nations.

On top of an earlier ban imposed on North Korean vessels from entering the Dandong port near its border ahead of the resolution’s passage, Beijing is seeking an across-the-board entry embargo, it added.

This undated photo shows North Korean ships moored at a port in Sokcho, Gangwon Province. (Yonhap)

China has also denied the access of North Korean general cargo ship Grand Karo to the northeastern port of Rizhao, Reuters reported late Tuesday, quoting an unidentified official at the Rizhao Maritime Authority.

The Cambodia-flagged, 6,593-deadweight-ton freighter is among the 31 vessels blacklisted by the Security Council. It appears to be now anchored about 35 kilometers from Rizhao since last Wednesday, according to data from the Marine Traffic vessel tracking website, analyzed by The Korea Herald.

In an ostensible bid to evade tracking and possible seizures, a raft of North Korean ships have turned off their Automatic Identification Systems on board and vanished from the radar screen.

As of 6 p.m. Wednesday, the location of only 10 of the 31 were acknowledged on the website, including the Grand Karo and Jin Teng, which were impounded by the Philippines over the weekend. Of the remaining 21, 11 have disappeared since the UNSC adopted its fresh sanctions last Wednesday.

Aside from the Grand Karo, at least three more bulk carriers appear to have been denied entry to ports in China and Russia and thus were anchored in nearby waters, the website’s data showed.

The reports came as countries around the globe are setting in motion steps enshrined in the UNSC resolution while formulating their own penalties to prop up the measures.

South Korea on Tuesday slapped a fresh set of unilateral sanctions against the North, principally designed to further constrict Pyongyang’s financial and shipping networks.

Under the measures, foreign-flag vessels and flag-on-convenience ships owned in reality by North Korea will be prohibited from entering South Korea if they had stopped in the communist country within 180 days. They also cannot run an inter-Korean route.

Tokyo took a similar step last month on all North Korean and third-country-flagged vessels including on humanitarian missions.

On Saturday, the Philippines said it had seized a North Korean freighter that was blacklisted by the newest U.N. resolution, marking the first case of the measure’s implementation since its passage last Wednesday. The 6,830-deadweight-ton Jin Teng was flying a Sierra Leone flag and unloading palm kernels upon its arrival on Feb. 27, Manila’s Foreign Ministry said.

In particular, Beijing’s participation is deemed pivotal given that it takes up the majority of North Korea’s trade volume and has other options that could inflict a major damage on the already crumbling economy.

On land, China has also halted yuan transactions between its major banks and North Korean financial institutions, as well as dollar transfers to the North. It is expected to jack up the number of customs officers and carry out inspections on all exports to North Korea, the Japanese newspaper added.

Beijing’s swift implementation of the latest U.N. resolution and tightening of its own squeeze on Pyongyang may be intended to dilute global criticism for its staunch patronage of the defiant leadership despite its relentless provocations and nuclear development.

But it could also carry a message to the U.S. that is forecast to unveil its own standalone sanctions within the next couple weeks. The focal point will be whether it includes “secondary boycott” measures, which call for penalties for third-party companies and individuals engaging in transactions with the North, and would thus take a toll mostly on Chinese entities.

“I think the recent visit by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi to Washington was probably multiple-thronged, including the denuclearization peace treaty talks and the envisioned stationing of a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense battery here,” a senior Seoul official said, requesting anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

“But as Washington was gearing up for unilateral sanctions and considering the secondary boycotts, Wang could have sought to block the move, with China displaying its resolve for the resolution’s implementation and tightening its squeeze on the North on its own.”

By Shin Hyon-hee (heeshin@heraldcorp.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Emergency meeting on cybersecurity

Emergency meeting on cybersecurity

This photo, released by the National Intelligence Service, shows representatives of 14 government agencies holding an emergency meeting at the spy agency’s building in Seoul on March 8, 2016, to discuss countermeasures against North Korea’s attempt to hack into the smartphones of key South Korean officials. (Yonhap) (END)

 

Source : Yonhap News Agency

North Korea says it has achieved ‘standardization’ of nuclear bomb

N. Korea says it has achieved 'standardization' of nuclear bomb

North Korea’s top leader Kim Jong-un (C) talks with scientists and technicians during one of his “field guidance” tours about the development of nuclear weapons in this photo released by the North’s daily Rodong Sinmun on March 9, 2016. The state-run newspaper, published by the ruling Workers’ Party of Korea, did not report when Kim met the scientists and technicians. Kim was reported as saying that North Korea has made a nuclear bomb lighter and achieved its “standardization.” (For Use Only in the Republic of Korea. No Redistribution) (Yonhap) (END)

 

Source : Yonhap News Agency

Boeing and Paramount to Collaborate on Light Multi-role Aircraft

Builds on 2014 agreement to jointly develop defense and security opportunities in key international markets

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates, March 8, 2016 Boeing [NYSE: BA] and the Paramount Group, the South Africa-based global defense and aerospace business, have expanded their 2014 agreement to cooperate on an advanced mission system for a variant of the Advanced, High Performance, Reconnaissance, Light Aircraft (AHRLAC).

A high-wing, two-seat aircraft, AHRLAC is designed to incorporate advanced intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) capabilities and weapons systems. Boeing will develop an integrated mission system for the aircraft enabling ISR and light strike missions for the AHRLAC safety & security, and military variants. This militarised version will be known as Mwari.

Speaking from the Global Aerospace Summit in Abu Dhabi, Jeffrey Johnson, vice president, Business Development, Boeing Military Aircraft, said, “Through AHRLAC, we’ll not only bring a flexible, persistent and affordable aircraft to the international market, but we’ll also be developing world-class technology in Africa.”

“Our relationship with Paramount will help us access markets that are new to Boeing,” Johnson added.

The Paramount Group is the largest privately owned defense and aerospace business in Africa, providing fully integrated turnkey solutions to global defense, peacekeeping and internal security forces. Since its inception in 1994, Paramount has built strong relationships with governments and government agencies in more than 30 countries around the world. Paramount is a leading innovator in the design and development of state-of-the-art products that it manufactures in locations globally and has partnered with some of the world’s largest and most reputable organizations in the global defense community. Please visithttp://www.paramountgroup.com or follow us on Twitter.

In 2016 Boeing celebrates 100 years of pioneering aviation accomplishments and launches its second century as an innovative, customer-focused aerospace technology and capabilities provider, community partner and preferred employer. Through its Defense, Space & Security unit, Boeing is a global leader in this marketplace and is the world’s largest and most versatile manufacturer of military aircraft. Headquartered in St. Louis, Defense, Space & Security is a $30 billion business with about 50,000 employees worldwide. Follow us on Twitter: @BoeingDefense.

# # #

Media Contacts:

Scott Day
Defense, Space & Security
Office: +1 703-872-4206
Mobile: +1 703-403-3083
scott.day2@boeing.com

Nico De Klerk
Paramount Group
Office: +27 11 086 6871
Mobile: +27 76 981 0939

nico.deklerk@paramountgroup.com

 

 

Source : Boeing Website

Colaboradoras alvinegras recebem merecida homenagem

As Diretorias Social e de Promoções e Eventos organizaram um café da manhã

Site do Ceará Sporting Club

Rádio Vozão estreia com sucesso entre ouvintes

Homenagem, interação de torcida e discurso do Presidente marcaram o primeiro dia de transmissão

Site do Ceará Sporting Club

Morre Gildo Fernandes de Oliveira , o maior artilheiro do Ceará Sporting Club

O maior artilheiro da história Centenária do Vozão faleceu na manhã de hoje

O maior artilheiro da história Centenária do Vozão faleceu na manhã de hoje
(Foto: Christian Alekson/CearaSC.com)

O Ceará Sporting Club e a nação alvinegra estão de luto.

Gildo Fernandes de Oliveira (12/01/1940), o maior artilheiro da história Centenária do Vozão, faleceu nesta manhã, vítima de parada cardiorrespiratória.

O momento é de profundo pesar pela partida do ídolo, mas o que fica são lembranças gloriosas de um atacante que honrou a camisa do Ceará com seu espírito de liderança e com faro de gol apurado, afinal Gildo defendeu o manto alvinegro em 441 partidas e balançou as redes adversárias em 261 oportunidades, ajudando o clube a conquistar vários títulos.

“A nação alvinegra está de luto e profundamente triste pela partida do nosso maior ídolo Gildo Fernandes. Nosso artilheiro honrou o manto alvinegro e nos deixou uma grande história que nos enche de orgulho. Nossa solidariedade à família. O Ceará Sporting Club está em luto”, afirmou o Presidente Robinson de Castro.

A torcida alvinegra também se manifestou nas redes sociais e os mais jovens escreveram o seguinte texto:

“Obrigado, Gildo.
Obrigado pelos gols que não vi, mas imaginei!
Obrigado pelos títulos que não vi, mas comemorei!
Obrigado pelos lances, como a cabeçada mágica, que não presenciei, mas enxerguei!
Obrigado por nascer em Pernambuco, mas adotar o Ceará!
Obrigado!”

Em sua vitoriosa carreira, o eterno Gildo foi campeão cearense pelo Vovô em 1961, 1962, 1963 e 1971, campeão do Norte-Nordeste de 1969 e jogou ainda pelo América de Rio Preto/SP e Calouros do Ar. O ex-atacante foi artilheiro do Campeonato Cearense em duas oportunidades (1961 e 1963), além de ser vice-artilheiro em 1962, com 29 gol.

O Mais Querido se solidariza com a família e com todos os fãs de Gildo e deseja força neste momento de dor! Este também foi o sentimento do Presidente do Conselho Deliberativo, Humberto Aragão, que afirmou estar muito triste com a partida do maior ídolo da história do clube que viu jogar.

O Ceará Sporting Club, a partir de hoje, decreta três dias de luto. Mais informações sobre o velório e sepultamento em breve.

 

Site do Ceará Sporting Club