Western Sydney Wanderers say police crackdown on Red and Black Bloc is excessive

September 25, 2015

Under siege: Sections of Western Sydney Wanderers fans are in the sights of polics.

Under siege: Sections of Western Sydney Wanderers fans are in the sights of polics. Photo: Getty Images

The Western Sydney Wanderers have slammed a proposed police crackdown on crowd behaviour as excessive.

The Wanderers believe the proposals, which included prohibiting banners and flags, and stopping supporters marching en-masse to the ground, will detract from their home ground experience.

Ahead of the A-League’s season kickoff in a fortnight, local Parramatta authorities and police presented the club’s supporter group, the Red and Black Bloc, with a number of recommended match-day regulations.

Police also want a zero tolerance on swearing, as well as banning any standing in aisles or side-to-side movement in the crowd.

The A-League club, which has been acting as a mediator between the authorities and its supporter base  for some months, was critical of the proposals.

“While the club will never tolerate flares or any form of anti-social behaviour, the club has opposed the severity of the proposals and what we believe is excessive and we feel compromises the enjoyable football experience,” the club statement said.

Some members of the Red and Black Bloc clashed with the police at a game in April when authorities were alleged to have used pepper spray on fans.

The Wanderers, who play their FFA Cup quarter-final against Perth next week, kick off the season against the Brisbane Roar at home on October 8.

AAP

The Canberra Times

Speculation mounts on Luke Brattan’s future as Melbourne Victory strengthen depth

September 27, 2015 – 7:00PM

Michael Lynch

Senior sports reporter with The Age

Luke Brattan.

Luke Brattan made it clear when he walked out of the financially challenged Brisbane Roar as a free agent that he felt his future lay in Europe. Photo: Getty Images

A-League clubs will be carefully monitoring the future of Socceroos squad member Luke Brattan if the former Brisbane Roar midfielder does sign for Manchester City as speculation intensifies that he will join the English Premier League champions.

Not that Brattan is expected to play for the Mancunians even if he does join them.

It is widely expected that if signed as a free agent – with no transfer fee – he will be lent to another club.

Melbourne City, which is owned by Manchester City, has indicated that there is no plan to lend the Socceroos squad member back to them, as some media have reported is a possibility.

Brattan made it clear when he walked out of financially challenged Roar as a free agent that he felt his future lay in Europe.

It is more likely that he would be lent to a club in The Championship so that he could develop his game and become attuned to the pace and physicality of football in England.

However, until Brattan’s future is settled, rival A-League teams will be keeping a close eye on his movements.

Meanwhile Olyroo defender Giancarlo Gallifuoco is set to begin with Melbourne Victory this week.

In reports from England late last week Gallifuoco was said to have joined Victory, though the club has so far made no official comment.

However the player, who was released at the end of last season by Premier League club Swansea City, tweeted  late last week that he was at Heathrow and on his way to begin his new adventure, illustrating his tweet with an Australian flag.

The centre-back helped Swansea win the Under-21 Premier League title last season and also had a spell at Tottenham as a youngster. He was named by Aurelio Vidmar last week in the Olyroos squad for friendlies against South Korea in early October.

The Canberra Times.