By Oh Seok-min
SEOUL, June 10 (Yonhap) — The new head of the U.S. Pacific Command reaffirmed Wednesday stern responses to any provocations by North Korea, said South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Adm. Harry Harris, chief of the U.S. Pacific Command, made the pledge during his visit to the South Korean Navy’s 2nd Fleet Command in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Province, where he paid tribute to sailors killed in the North’s deadly attack on the warship, Cheonan.
On March 26, 2010, the 1,200-ton naval corvette sank in the Yellow Sea, killing 46 South Koreans. An international investigation found that Pyongyang had torpedoed the ship, though the belligerent regime has denied responsibility. The hull of the vessel is on display at the fleet’s headquarters.
“His visit to the 2nd Fleet in charge of defending the northwestern waters is seen as a symbolic expression of the allies’ will to strongly respond to any provocative actions by North Korea,” the JCS said in a release.
It is his first trip to the Korean Peninsula after assuming command of the U.S. Pacific Command in May 2015.
Prior to the commemoration, he met with the JCS’ chairman, Amd. Choi Yun-hee, and discussed a wide range of issues of mutual concern.
“After being debriefed on the recent movements of the North Korean military, which has intentionally heightened tensions along the western sea border, the two sides once again confirmed instant, stern and strong responses based upon their solid combined defense posture,” according to the release.
In a saber-rattling move against South Korea and the U.S., North Korea has continued to build up its asymmetric capabilities and launch provocative actions. Last month alone, the North carried out live-fire drills twice near the Northern Limit Line, the de facto inter-Korean maritime border in the Yellow Sea.
Harris paid a courtesy call Tuesday on President Park Geun-hye soon after his arrival in Seoul, Cheong Wa Dae said.
The Park-Harris meeting was attended by U.S. Ambassador Mark Lippert; Gen. Curtis Scaparrotti, commander of U.S. Forces Korea; and Lt. Gen. Terrence J. O’Shaughnessy, commander of the 7th U.S. Air Force, according to the presidential office.
It marked the first time that Park has had a meeting with a commander of the U.S. Pacific Command, although Adm. Samuel Locklear III, the predecessor of Harris, attended Park’s meeting with then Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel in 2013.
Later in the day, Harris plans to sit down for talks with Defense Minister Han Min-koo on the security situation on the peninsula and to meet with U.S. service personnel stationed in Korea. He is to return home on Thursday.
As one of six unified combatant commands of the U.S. armed forces headquartered in Hawaii, the U.S. Pacific Command covers the areas stretching from the waters off its west coast to the western border of India, according to its website. Some 360,000 military and civilian personnel are assigned for missions to enhance stability in the Asia-Pacific region.
1917 — Korean independence fighters based in Hawaii, led by Park Yong-man, establish a military band named “Great Joseon People’s Army.”
1926 — Residents of Seoul stage street marches against the Japanese colonial regime to coincide with the state funeral of Sunjong, the last emperor of the Joseon Dynasty.
1952 — The United Nations Command, established to support South Korea against North Korea in the civil war that started in 1950, puts down a revolt by prisoners of war at a jail on Geoje Island off South Korea’s southeastern coast. The jail accommodated about 150,000 North Korean soldiers and 30,000 Chinese. The prisoners were set free in 1953 when the Korean War ended with an armistice.
1962 — The government implements its second currency reform, converting the basic monetary unit to the “won” from the “hwan” and devaluing it 10 to 1.
1988 — Pohang Iron and Steel, now POSCO, is listed on the Korea Stock Exchange.
1989 — The Ministry of Construction announces 22 districts of a total 24 million square meters for residential development.
1993 — North Korea test-fires a missile with a 1,000-km range in the East Sea.
2010 — The Naro-1, South Korea’s first locally assembled space rocket carrying a scientific satellite, explodes about two minutes into flight.
North Korea is likely to see its food production fall by up to 20 percent this year from 2014 if a shortage of rainfall continues until early July, a Unification Ministry official said Tuesday.
In May, precipitation in North Korea reached 57 percent of the average rainfall recorded between 1981 and 2010, according to the official.
In 2014, the North reported its smallest rainfall in 15 years and the United Nations has warned that North Korea is likely to suffer from serious food shortages this year due to drought.
North Korea’s crop production could decline by 15 to 20 percent this year compared to last year if it continues to see a rainfall shortage until early July, the official said.
The North is expected to see its food production fall by only 5 to 10 percent if the lack of rainfall continues into early June. In that case, North Korea is believed to be focusing on producing maize as an alternative to rice.
“This year, the supply of fertilizer is not smooth, compared with last year,” said the official, asking not to be named.
The North has relied on international handouts since 1995 to help feed its people in the face of chronic food shortages.
A U.N. report showed that about 70 percent of North Korea’s 24.6 million people suffer from food shortages and 1.8 million, including children and pregnant women, are in need of nutrition.
Last year, the North suffered from a severe drought in the spring, but managed to produce crops at a level similar to that of 2013 due mainly to the use of preserved water.
The official said that the North’s agricultural reforms might have helped it maintain the food production last year, but this year’s situation may bode ill, given that fertilizer availability is worse.
In 2012, the North announced the so-called “6.28 measures” that centered on allowing farmers to keep 30 percent of their production quota plus any excess over the quota. Last year, it unveiled a new set of reforms that call for raising the farmers’ portion to 60 percent. (Yonhap)
The Korea Herald
The U.N. Security Council is unlikely to impose new sanctions or issue any formal statement with regard to North Korea’s test-launch of a ballistic missile from a submarine, a diplomatic source said Tuesday.
The secretive North announced in early May that it has successfully fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile.
South Korea sent a letter to the North Korea Sanctions Committee under the U.N. council requesting a probe and punitive action.
“North Korea’s firing of an SLBM is a violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions. But China and Russia maintain a tepid stance,” the source told Yonhap News Agency on the condition of anonymity. “The U.N. Security Council is a forum where political decisions are made.”
Some member states apparently believe that the North’s SLBM technology is not at a level of serious concern yet, given its complicated nature, added the source.
China, like the U.S., seems to have an assessment that North Korea still has a long way to go to master the SLBM technology and deploy a submarine equipped with the weapon, according to the source.
South Korea’s chief nuclear envoy Hwang Joon-kook had talks with his Chinese counterpart, Wu Dawei, in Beijing at the end of last month. Hwang earlier had a trilateral meeting in Seoul with the top nuclear envoys from the U.S., Sung Kim, and Japan, Junichi Ihara.
They shared notes on the analysis of Pyongyang’s recent provocations and discussed ways to coax it back to denuclearization talks.
In March, the North test-launched two Scud-type short-range ballistic missiles with impunity.
“The U.N. Security Council is instead accumulating records of North Korea’s violations of its resolutions for possible future actions,” the source said. (Yonhap)
The Korea Herald
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un visited a historic war site and called for the strengthening of anti-U.S. spirit fostered by his grandfather Kim Il-sung, according to its state-run media Tuesday.
The North characterizes the Pyongyang compound associated with the 1950-53 Korean War as “holy land,” as it was used by the late founding leader as the supreme command post during the war.
Kim Il-sung, who died in 1994, is a role model for Kim Jong-un, reportedly in his early 30s. The young leader is apparently trying to imitate his grandfather in speaking and actions.
Kim ordered the construction of a 1,770-square-meter “revolutionary museum” on the site and it has been completed recently, according to the Korean Central News Agency.
It said Kim looked around the facilities used by his grandfather with “deep emotion.”
“The President (Kim Il-sung) fought open battles as he had to beat the U.S.-led imperialist allied forces externally and frustrate every move of the spies hired by the U.S. imperialists and anti-party factional elements to stamp out the Korean revolution with blood-shot eyes internally during the Fatherland Liberation War,” Kim Jong-un was quoted as saying.
He underscored the need for North Koreans to visit the site in order to enhance such revolutionary spirit.
The communist regime calls the Korean War the Fatherland Liberation War and claims its victory. (Yonhap)
The Korea Herald
North Korea said Tuesday that it plans to select deputies to local assemblies in mid-July for the first time since the North’s leader Kim Jong-un took power in late 2011.
Elections for deputies to provincial, city and county people’s assemblies will take place July 19, according to the North’s official Korean Central News Agency.
The elections are held every four years, and the number of seats is determined by the population of each area.
However, they are widely considered a formality as the candidates hand-picked by the ruling Workers’ Party are rubber-stamped into office.
The latest local elections were held in July 2011 when Kim was the communist nation’s heir-apparent.
Elected deputies hold a meeting once or twice every year to set their provinces’ budgets and draw up plans for law enforcement, experts said. (Yonhap)
The Korea Herald
Horário político é o destaque do mês de maio.
De acordo com informações apuradas pelo jornalista José Armando Vannucci, da rádio Jovem Pan, o horário político exibidos às terças e quintas foi o programa mais assistido na televisão durante o mês de maio, segundo dados do Painel Nacional de Televisão, que abrange 15 praças pelo Brasil.
Com oito minutos de duração, a propaganda política – exibida pela Globo – atingiu 28.4 de média. Na sequência, no ranking das atrações com maior audiência, aparece a novela I Love Paraisópolis com 27.2 de média e Babilônia, em terceiro lugar, com 25.8 pontos.
Da Record, destaque para a novela Os Dez Mandamentos que fechou o fechou o mês passado com 11.7 de média. Em segundo lugar, aparece o horário político com 9.8 pontos; e, em terceiro lugar, o Domingo Espetacular, com 9.3 pontos.
A reprise de Carrossel é o programa mais assistido do SBT. A novela infanto-juvenil atingiu 10.9 de média. Chiquititas ficou em segundo lugar, com 10.2 pontos. E o Programa Silvio Santos, em terceiro, com 10.1.
Na Band, Pânico foi a maior audiência com 4.4 de média. Na sequência aparecem MasterChef com 4.0 pontos e futebol aos domingos com 3.2.
Já na RedeTV!, o líder do ranking é o Encrenca com 2.0 pontos, seguido do Teste de Fidelidade com 1.5, Operação de Risco com 1.2.
Cada ponto equivale a 233 mil domicílios no Painel Nacional de Televisão.
It was a night for the history-makers in Montreal, as Marta and Formiga scored record-breaking goals for Brazil in their 2-0 win over Korea Republic. Formiga’s first-half opener saw her become the oldest ever FIFA Women’s World Cup™ goalscorer, and Marta’s second-half penalty sent her clear of Birgit Prinz as the record goalscorer in the tournament’s history.
Brazil began brightly. Fabiana, a constant threat down the Selecao right, struck the crossbar in the opening exchanges with a thunderous long range drive. The yellow shirts continued to flood forwards, but it was a mistake from the Korean backline that allowed Formiga her record-breaking goal.
Cristiane dashed through the Korean midfield and into the Brazilian final third, but the ball ran away from her following a heavy touch. However, Kim Doyeon underhit her backpass and Formiga raced onto the loose ball, showing a sharpness that belied her 37 years to poke past the onrushing Kim Jungmi.
The second half brought the goal that the expectant Brazilian fans had been hoping they would witness. Formiga was involved once more, bursting into the Korean penalty area before being felled by the Taeguk Ladies’ captain Cho Sohyun. Brazil’s iconic skipper stepped up, and Marta coolly slotted home her 15th Women’s World Cup goal almost 12 years after she scored her first which, as fate would have it, was also from the penalty spot against Korea Republic around 500 miles south in Washington DC.
Yoon Dukyeo’s side failed to muster many chances of their own, with Jeon Gaeul seeing an effort deflected wide after good work by Ji Soyun.
But it was to be Marta’s moment and Formiga’s fantasy on an evening that set Vadao’s side up well ahead of a tricky game against Spain, while Korea Republic will look to raise themselves for Saturday’s clash against Costa Rica.
Live Your Goals Player of the match: Formiga (Brazil)
Uniclinic está de volta à final da Série B do Campeonato Cearense. Por três votos a um, a Águia da Precabura venceu o processo julgado pela primeira comissão disciplinar do Tribunal de Justiça Desportiva de Futebol do Ceará (TJDF-CE). O Uniclinic estava correndo risco de perder pontos e deixar a dupla de acesso à série A do Estadual devido à uma escalação errada. O Maracanã, com 37 pontos, entrou na jogada e levou a luta pela vaga para a justiça.
Ao final do julgamento, o advogado do Uniclinic, Irazer Gadelha, comemorou a conquista e afirmou que o argumento de que a súmula estava retificada não procedia, pois o documento oficial estava adulterado.
– O Uniclinic venceu o julgamento porque não cometeu infração nenhuma. O clube não foi informado a tempo (de mudar a escalação) e a súmula que consta no processo está adulterada – afirma o advogado da Águia da Precabura.
Entretanto, a decisão do TJDF-CE não é a absoluta. O Maracanã poderá recorrer ao Pleno do Superior Tribunal de Justiça Desportiva (STJD) e, segundo o advogado do clube, Clark Leitão, esse é o procedimento que será realizado.
– O entendimento da comissão não é o entendimento que a lei nos proporciona. Está registrado na súmula que é documento oficial. Iremos recorrer à uma instância superior – afirma Clark Leitão.