Lloyd Rayney says murder charge took away working, personal life

August 22, 2014 – 8:49AM

Candice Barnes

Entertainment reporter

Lloyd Rayney says the time since his wife's death has been a seven-year "nightmare".Lloyd Rayney says the time since his wife’s death has been a seven-year “nightmare”.

Lloyd Rayney has spoken at length publicly for the first time about the disproved murder allegations that left him “without a private personal life” and apparently saw him taunted in public by teenagers.

In a much-hyped Perth-produced documentary which aired on Channel Seven on Thursday night, Mr Rayney made a tearful plea to authorities to find the killer of his wife Corryn.

After one of the most high-profile trials in WA’s history, Mr Rayney was found not guilty in November 2012 of his wife’s murder. Corryn Rayney had disappeared after a boot-scooting class on August 7, 2007.

Lloyd and Corryn Rayney in happier times.

Lloyd and Corryn Rayney in happier times.

Her body was found buried in Kings Park nine days later.

In the documentary, Mr Rayney said the impact of being named by police as the “prime suspect” in Corryn Rayney’s murder was “felt by me in every way imaginable”.

“Seven years on, the impact is still there,” Mr Rayney said.

“Professionally, my work dried up. I no longer had a private personal life.”

It’s understood a defamation writ filed on behalf of Mr Rayney is pending and that WA Police declined an invitation to take part in the production.

The documentary detailed allegations of suspect evidence, that police had unfairly targeted Mr Rayney and possible killers on the loose – as well as suggestions of a trial by media as part of an ongoing “nightmare”.

Similarities to the Lindy Chamberlain case were suggested in a reenactment of court proceedings.

“19 out of 20 West Australians still believe Lloyd Rayney is guilty,” journalist and author Bret Christian said.

Social media ran the full gamut of reactions after and during the documentary’s screening, with some viewers saying they regarded the show as a “publicity stunt” and others tweeting in support of Mr Rayney.

 

Mr Rayney said he had been menaced by teenagers in a department store, and had heard groups of people screaming “murderer” out the front of the Como home he shared with his daughters.

He said he would “find it very hard to forgive” the police officers who he claimed “stuffed up” the murder investigation.

“They owed it to [Corryn] to get it right… they owed it to my children,” Mr Rayney said.

Former detective Robin Napper, who assisted with Mr Rayney’s defence, broke down the prosecution’s case, which largely relied on circumstantial evidence.

Both Mr Napper and Mr Rayney called for a cold case review of the murder, which they said should include a closer look at two men who lived nearby.

A cigarette butt found outside the Rayney residence contained DNA later matched to one of the men.

Mr Rayney expressed hope the case could one day be solved, provided that “new blood” and “people with sufficient experience” were in charge of the investigation.

“Life throws adversities that you can’t see coming,” he said.

“I do think that we’re a strong family, we’ve held together for this long and we will continue to do so.”

Source : Western Australia Today

Deixe um comentário

Preencha os seus dados abaixo ou clique em um ícone para log in:

Logotipo do WordPress.com

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta WordPress.com. Sair /  Alterar )

Imagem do Twitter

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Twitter. Sair /  Alterar )

Foto do Facebook

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Facebook. Sair /  Alterar )

Conectando a %s

Este site utiliza o Akismet para reduzir spam. Saiba como seus dados em comentários são processados.