Jetstar to reveal new Boeing 787 routes next week

Jetstar to reveal new Boeing 787 routes next week

Jetstar will reveal its next set of Boeing 787 routes next week, planned around the early 2014 debut of two more Dreamliners in the low-cost carrier’s fleet.

The airline’s first Boeing 787 is currently shuttling between its Melbourne base and Brisbane and Cairns as Jetstar completes a series of domestic flights to bed down the next-gen jet before it begins international service on the Melbourne-Bali route from Wednesday December 18

However, the Dreamliner will be making its daily visits to Denpasar only “over the summer period”, Jetstar says, so new routes are on the cards.

Earlier this year Jetstar CEO Jayne Hrdlicka said “we expect to add more destinations, including Phuket, Japan, Hawaii and Singapore, to the 787’s flying schedule as we receive more aircraft.”

However, as Jetstar has spoken of “new routes” for the new year it’s been suggested that a service to Hong Kong may be on the cards, pending the launch of Jetstar Hong Kong.

A joint venture between Qantas, Shanghai-based China Eastern and Hong Kong business magnate and billionaire Stanley Ho, through his conglomerate Shun Tak Holdings, Jetstar Hong Kong represents perhaps its parent’s most ambitious expansion to date.

Jetstar Hong Kong proposes to fly to China, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam from its base in Hong Kong, using a fleet of medium-range Airbus 320s.

Qantas originally hoped for a mid-2013 launch for Jetstar Hong Kong but has faced delays in gaining regulatory approval, along with staunch opposition from HK incumbents Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong Airlines and Hong Kong Express.

 

The New Zealand Herald

Meridian book loss – $422m says Govt

By Brian Fallow

1:00 PM Friday Dec 6, 2013
The Benmore power station, part of Meridian Energy's generation portfolio that is now 49pc in private hands. Photo / Richard Robinson

The Benmore power station, part of Meridian Energy’s generation portfolio that is now 49pc in private hands. Photo / Richard Robinson

The Government has disclosed a book loss of $422 million on its sale of 49 per cent of Meridian Energy.

The Crown accounts for October released today put the book value of Meridian at the time of the float as $4.6 billion, 49 per cent of which is $2.25 billion.

The Government will actually receive $1.88 billion by the time second tranche of instalment receipts is paid for in May 2015.

It had direct costs associated with the float of $21 million, and the time value of money involved in deferring the second payment until then is another $33 million.

The net proceeds are therefore $1.83 billion or $422 million less than 49 per cent of the value ascribed to Meridian in the Crown’s books at the time of the sale.

On the other hand the sale has reduced the Government’s cash deficit four months into the current financial year by $1.25 billion to $3.3 billion and cut its net debt by the same amount to $59 billion.

A third of the way through the financial year tax revenue was running 1 per cent ahead of Budget forecast.

Core Crown expenses were 1.1 per cent below forecast, in part because of delays in earthquake expenses and Treaty settlements, the Treasury said.

Compared with the same four months of 2012 tax revenue is 8 per cent higher while expenses are 1.6 per cent higher.

The corporate tax take is 9.6 per cent up on a year go, PAYE 7.8 per cent higher and GST 7.6 per cent higher.

On the expenditure side the 1.6 per cent increased on a year ago is entirely explained by the three big ticket items: social security and welfare (including superannuation) up 2.9 per cent, health up 2.8 per cent and education up 2.4 per cent. Most of the other 12 spending lines were down on a year ago, including a 3.7 per cent drop in the Government’s interest bill.

The net effect is a deficit in the operating balance before gains and losses almost $400 million smaller than expected at $1.75 billion.

 

The New Zealand Herald

World Cup draw: Socceroos sweat on their upcoming fate

December 6, 2013 – 6:54AM

Sebastian Hassett

Football reporter

The cliche is there are no easy groups at the World Cup – but the wicked truth is that some draws are easier than others.

In their past two tournaments, Australia have been blessed with a mixed bag, each with a superpower (Brazil in 2006 and Germany in 2010) and a sprinkling of mid-range teams (Japan and Croatia then Ghana and Serbia). Each edition provided Australia with a chance to progress, but only in 2006 could they capitalise.

In 2014, FIFA has produced the most complicated – and downright baffling – method to create the final groups, which are riddled with controversy. Here is a rough guide:

Advertisement

1. Who the Socceroos want to draw: In 2010, two of the eight seeded teams finished bottom of their groups – Italy and France, paving the way for the likes of Paraguay, Slovakia, Mexico and Uruguay to advance. Next year, the prize seems to be Switzerland, who qualified for only one tournament between 1970 and 2002. Arguably Uruguay, who limped into the World Cup through the play-offs, are the next most desirable seed. Belgium and Colombia have a chequered international history but boast great squads this time. The lesser European and African teams – Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, Russia, Algeria and Cameroon – may provide opportunities.

2. Who the Socceroos want to avoid: Brazil should continue the host nations’ extraordinary World Cup record. Until South Africa in 2010, every host had made the second round, with the majority at least reaching the semi-finals and six hosts winning the Cup. The usual suspects – Argentina, Germany and Spain – should not be troubled in the group stages but it is unseeded contenders, such as the Netherlands, Italy, England and Portugal, who will complicate the fight for second spot. The one European team, who in a bizarre pre-pot draw will be lobbed into a combined Africa-South America pot, could well create the dreaded “group of death”.

Tim Cahill celebrates his goal against Costa Rica last month.

Tim Cahill celebrates his goal against Costa Rica last month. Photo: Wolter Peeters

3. Adjusting to the conditions: This could be the deciding factor, at least for the European nations. Taking to samba-filled stadiums after being stuck in smog-choked traffic jams and flying hours between cities will make them feel a world away from home. Then there’s the climate. “The venues we play in worry me more than the opponents,” England coach Roy Hodgson said recently. “There’s definitely going to be climatic conditions which will be problematic for teams, not least all the northern European sides. You have a bit better chance if you get one of the venues where the climate is kinder.”

4. Support in the stands: While South Africans and their vuvuzelas embraced all of the continent’s teams last time, don’t expect anything of the sort in Brazil. Their hatred of Argentina is infamous and La Albiceleste will be jeered ferociously. Likewise, there would be euphoric joy at seeing Uruguay fail. They created Brazil’s darkest day in the 1950 World Cup final, which still rankles. As a nation of immigrants, expect plenty of support for nations with active expat communities (Italy, Portugal, Germany and Japan). The five northern Brazilian cities, where African culture reigns supreme, are sure to flock in support behind Africa’s representatives.

5. The best group for the fans: Given Brazil’s vast size, there is going to be a lot of travel, up to 2700km between matches in some cases, as each group hosts a match in an obscure inland city, either Manaus or Cuiaba. Beachgoers will hope for position three in Group A or position one in Group B – which also features a match in Rio De Janiero. The first team drawn in Group H is the city lovers’ dream, with matches in Rio, Sao Paolo and Belo Horizonte.

The Sydney Morning Herald

Enfoque Na Telinha: SBT quer levar “Chiquititas” até 2015; de que forma?

https://i1.wp.com/natelinha.ne10.uol.com.br/imagem/noticia/7f7584e1db55d48cf066f3aba372126a.jpg

Divulgação/SBT

O remake de “Chiquititas”, que estreou no dia 15 de julho com o objetivo de superar os índices de audiência de “Carrossel”, já não anda bem das pernas. A trama registrou 8 pontos ontem (4) e mesmo com números abaixo da antecessora, o SBT já pensa em esticá-la até 2015.

O esgotamento da fórmula parece inevitável. Particularmente, duvido muito que a novela vá até lá. Se está dando 8 agora, daqui alguns meses poderá dar 5, 6 pontos. A não ser que exista uma reviravolta na novela e voltem o foco para o núcleo infantil. Ultimamente, o núcleo adulto de “Chiquititas” está ganhando mais importância e destaque e o público reage, deixando de sintonizar na emissora.

Vai ser difícil recuperar o horário.

Copa Sul-Americana

Por essa talvez nem a Globo esperava. A primeira partida da final válida pela Copa Sul-Americana, entre Ponte Preta e a equipe argentina do Lanús, rendeu 21 pontos de média à emissora carioca ontem.

E tinha gente apostando que o jogo corria riscos de perder a liderança. Decisão de futebol dá audiência. E é um produto com retorno garantido.

Recorde atrás de outro

A Globo, a cada dia que passa, coleciona recordes negativos. Em pleno dia útil, “Além do Horizonte” havia marcado 13,5 pontos na prévia contra 10 da Record. Foi a pior audiência já registrada por uma trama das 19h. No consolidado subiu para 15. A audiência está ficando parecida com o que “Carrossel” registrava no SBT.

Mexicana

A novela “Por ela Sou Eva”, inédita, deu 4 ontem. As novelas da tarde do SBT perderam força e nem Thalía em sua enésima exibição consegue fazer mais milagre. Esta atriz, aliás, que já foi um fermento no Ibope, mas de tanto o SBT abusar, suas novelas já não surtem mais tanto efeito.

Mas, todas as redes nesse período estão sofrendo com a queda no índice de televisores ligados. A “Sessão da Tarde” deu 11.

Ilha

O “Cidade Alerta” também é uma ilha de audiência dentro da Record. A emissora não vem atravessando uma boa fase, e Marcelo Rezende consegue fazer com que a média diária do canal de Edir Macedo não seja ainda pior. Dar até 10 pontos em mais de três horas de programa faz toda a diferença.

 

A coluna Enfoque NT é diária! Confira todos os dias uma crítica diferente sobre o mundo da TV;

Contatos do colunista: thiagoforato@natelinha.com.br – Twitter: @Forato_

Chamusca recebe auxiliar técnico

Caé Cunha tem grande experiencia na leitura de jogo e observação de adversários. Esteve ao lado de Marcelo Chamusca na equipe do Salgueiro/PE, que este ano conseguiu acesso para a Série C, além de ter realizado boa campanha na Copa do Brasil. (Foto:Nodge Nogueira)

O técnico Marcelo Chamusca recebeu na última terça feira o seu auxiliar técnico, Caé Cunha, de vasto currículo, e que vem para colaborar com o Leão na temporada 2014.

Carlos André Gonçalves Cunha, ou simplesmente Caé Cunha, tem como principal característica a boa leitura de jogo e observação dos adversários, somados a experiência de já ter trabalhado com técnicos como Roberto Fernandes (Atlético Goianiense, Náutico/PE e Santo André/SP), Reinaldo Gueldini (Brasiliense) e com o próprio Marcelo Chamusca, que fez belas campanhas na temporada 2013.

Caé Cunha é um estudioso do futebol, o que o transformou em palestrante de vários cursos de formação de treinadores de futebol, tendo ministrado aulas teóricas e práticas na Faculdade IBGM, de Recife/PE, sua cidade natal. Além disso, na fase de aperfeiçoamento na função, estagiou com técnicos como Vanderley Luxemburgo e Dorival Júnior.

Feliz por trabalhar no Fortaleza, Caé espera dar sua contribuição para que o Fortaleza retome o caminho das vitórias. “É um prazer muito grande estar aqui, num grande clube, ao lado de um grande profissional que é o Marcelo. Esperamos poder implantar o mais rápido possível nossa filosofia, e colaborar para que o time do Fortaleza reconquiste o seu devido lugar no cenário nacional”, afirmou otimista.

 

Campanha “Dívida Trabalhista Zero” entrega premio

Flávio Moreira recebe das mãos do assessor de imprensa Nodge Nogueira, um iPhone 5, correspondente ao sorteio da 1ª edição da campanha “Dívida Trabalhista Zero”.

O coordenador de esportes da Rádio Cidade AM 860, jornalista Flávio Moreira, foi o sorteado da 1ª edição da Campanha “Dívida Trabalhista Zero”, desenvolvida pela diretoria tricolor no mês de outubro.

Moreira teve a sua cartela de número 511 sorteada no programa Debate Bola, da TV Diário, e recebeu hoje pela manhã, das mãos do assessor de imprensa Nodge Nogueira, um aparelho iPhone 5. Ao receber o premio, Flávio, que havia adquirido cinco cartelas, agradeceu e parabenizou a diretoria pela iniciativa, “Agradeço imensamente ao Fortaleza, e quero nesse momento parabenizar a diretoria pela lisura e pelo esforço em sanear o clube. Podem continuar contando com a nossa ajuda”, finalizou o jornalista.

Agora aguarda-se um contato do ganhador do iPad, premio referente à segunda edição da campanha, que corresponde à cartela de número 304.