Turning $3b into $618m: Brisbane’s failed Clem7 tunnel sold off

September 27, 2013 – 1:31PM

Matt O’Sullivan

Business Reporter

 

New owner: Clem7 tunnel went into receivership two years ago.

New owner: Clem7 tunnel went into receivership two years ago. Photo: Glenn Hunt

More than two years after it was placed in receivership, Brisbane’s Clem7 tunnel has been sold to Queensland Motorways for $618 million – a fraction of the $3 billion it cost to build.

The tollroad’s receiver, KordaMentha, has selected Queensland Motorways ahead of three other consortiums including one led by UBS Infrastructure Fund.

Queensland Motorways, which is owned by the Queensland Investment Corporation, controls most of Brisbane’s tollroads, including the Gateway and Logan motorways and the Legacy Way tunnel, currently under construction in the city’s west.

The state-owned business had been seen as the most logical buyer of the Clem7 given the tunnel would fit well within the rest of its network.

Advertisement

RiverCity Motorway, the previous owner of the tunnel under the Brisbane River, was placed in receivership in February 2011, less than a year after it was opened to motorists.

Queensland Motorways chief executive Brendan Bourke said the change of ownership would be ‘‘seamless’’ for motorists.

“The deal positions Queensland Motorways to further consolidate the Brisbane toll road network in the future and will provide us with a platform to work with Brisbane City Council and the state government to improve the Brisbane road network over the longer term,” he said.

The $618 million price tag will include $33 million in taxes and other costs.

In striking parallels with other failed public-private projects such as Sydney’s Cross City and Lane Cove tunnels, the Brisbane tunnel failed to attract anywhere near the number of motorists that were forecast.

That was despite RiverCity using almost every means possible, including slashing tolls, to entice motorists to use the tunnel named after a former Brisbane lord mayor, Clem Jones.

Analysts had expected the tunnel to sell for less than $650 million.

The 6.8-kilometre tollway includes a 4.8-kilometre tunnel linking roads on each side of the Brisbane River.

The sale is expected to be completed within the next three months.

It comes just two weeks after Sydney’s Cross City Tunnel failed financially for the second time in eight years.

– additional reporting by Cameron Atfield

Brisbane Times

Ear biting accused back to jail

September 28, 2013 – 12:05PM

Ewa Kretowicz

Bail refused and mother leaves court weeping.

Comunidade da Austrália

A woman accused of biting off part of a man’s ear lobe during a fight at a house party is back in jail after failing a urine test on bail.

Sharlene Marie Martin, 30, pleaded not guilty to the attack outside the home in Harrison in March. She was accused of biting off the lower part of the man’s ear lobe and repeatedly punching him.

Ms Martin, was denied bail twice, but a third attempt in March was successful with strict conditions, including a curfew and a ban on alcohol and drugs.

Chief magistrate Lorraine Walker was told Ms Martin returned a positive urine analysis for Codeine, Morphine and cannabis.

Advertisement

Solicitor for Ms Martin Hugh Jensen told the court his client admitted to consuming cannabis  but had only bought over the counter panadeine extra.

But prosecutor Phoebe Burgoyne-Scutts told the court Ms Martins story had changed as she initially said she had a prescription for Panadine Forte.

Ms Burgoyne-Scutts opposed bail and said the strict bail conditions were imposed to help stop Ms Martin from reoffending as she had admitted to police she had anger problems, and that she blacked out when using alcohol and drugs.

Martin’s mother was in court supporting her daughter, and left the court room weeping after bail was refused.

She is due back in the ACT Supreme Court on October 25.

Canberra Times

Still waiting for clues to surface

September 28, 2013

Emma Partridge

Crime Reporter

 

A suspicious  package, possibly a body, is found by police at Kyeemagh, South of Sydney Airport.

Grisly find: The scene at Lady Robinsons beach last year. Photo: Chris Lane

On a summer’s day early last year, an object wrapped in two plastic garbage bags and a chain was sighted off a beach near Sydney Airport.

A corrective services officer supervising a dozen people on community service, spotted it four metres offshore, nestled in thick seaweed. Pulling off his shoes, he waded into the water off Lady Robinsons beach near the mouth of the Cooks River.

After dragging the package to the sand, he pulled off a silver chain and ripped open the plastic. He found a black flat sheet that, peeled back, revealed a white hessian sack and a rusty, circular weight. He also noticed red colouring, took a step back and called police.

And 21 months after the torso was dragged ashore, police are still in the dark as to its identity.

Advertisement

The quest to identify the Lady Robinsons beach torso has been slow, painstaking and a far cry from the excitement of the hydra-headed CSI and other forensic police television series. Instead of snazzy dressing, smart cars and baby-boomer rock music, the NSW investigators have been handed visits to Spotlight and Bunnings as the order of the day.

Detective Sergeant Justin Moynihan took on the case the day after the torso was found.

”The difficulty is, we don’t know who it is. If we could put a name to our body, we would be halfway there,” Moynihan said.

Police believe the victim met foul play through links with organised crime.

It is believed he was aged 22 to 57, possibly from a European background. The torso weighed 52 kilograms and measured 79 centimetres, indicating he was more than 183 centimetres tall.

Moynihan thought it was ”a two-person job” because of the torso’s overall weight and the heavy contents in the plastic bags. He said the arms and legs were cut off with surgical precision in order to limit identification: ”The way the body was dismembered is quite clean. It’s definitely not a rushed job … and it’s very neat.”

With the victim’s body parts cut off, police have no fingerprints or other identifiable marks.

Detective Inspector Hans Rupp said police had taken casts of the bones but could not definitively say what tools were used.

”No one has hacked it off, they have done a neat, clean job,” Rupp said. ”It’s not a ritual killing and it’s not a killing where you are trying to send a message to someone because, clearly, they never intended for that body to be found.”

Even the cause of death remains a mystery. There is a deep slice that starts from the man’s nipple and finishes at the waist.

But it is not known whether this wound is what killed the victim or if the torso was slashed in an effort to stop it from floating. ”It’s an old trick,” Rupp said.

Dr Peter Tate, an oceanography expert, believes the body had been in the water for eight to 10 days. It drifted down the Cooks River where a witness spotted it a few metres from St George Rowing Club on January 25. Security footage taken of the boat ramps shows what is believed to be the floating torso. Two days later it was discovered on the shores of Kyeemagh, less than a kilometre from the airport’s southern runway.

Twenty-one months later, Moynihan is the only officer on the case.

But more than 100 police, including forensic officers, water police, divers and detective scoured the Cooks River and embankment in the early days, gathering months of security footage within a 20 kilometre radius of where the torso was found. The footage came from clubs, boat ramps, service stations and even the airport tower.

”We try to capture as much footage as we can and, although we might not necessarily review it, something in the future may come to light which means that footage becomes relevant,” Moynihan said.

The items found with the torso took detectives on a long and winding search.The black sheet wrapped around the torso was tracked back to a Spotlight store. Detectives reviewed all sheet purchases over several months and collected credit card numbers. A rusty circular weight inside the bag has also led to a dead end. The word Samson was etched into the 22.6 kilogram weight.

Moynihan said the weight was made by an American company and could not be bought in Australia: ”You need a lot to keep a body down and 20 kilos just won’t do it.”

A silver chain with one-centimetre thick links was wrapped around the torso. However, a piece of red ribbon tied to one of the links pointed police to marine and hardware stores because they sell chain stored in buckets and use the ribbon as markers. It proved fruitless.

The most time-consuming part of the investigation was sifting through missing person profiles to match a file with the estimated age of the male victim.

Moynihan investigated 43 people reported missing in NSW between January 2011 to the day the torso was found. Six were possibilities but further DNA testing ruled them out.

The problem is, police do not know where their victim came from.

”Because the torso was located not so far from the international airport it may well have been an international traveller, we just don’t know,” Rupp said.

DNA samples are run through a monthly systematic process in the hope of a match. ”I am fairly confident it is not someone in NSW,” Moynihan said.

One DNA sample even made it to Spain after a specialist in ancestry ran a series of tests in the belief the victim was from Europe.

Moynihan filed a brief for the Coroner in late August.

”It’s frustrating to not know who it is because, obviously, that’s the bread and butter of a homicide investigation but still, the actual investigation has been quite interesting.”

But hope springs: police are waiting for a possible DNA match with a person recently reported missing.

The Sydney Morning Herald

Ricardo Boechat , sobre novo instituto de pesquisas: “que venha concorrência em tudo. Até no papel higiênico…”

 

“Se você me perguntar se às vezes fico p… com os números que o Ibope me atribui, fico, mas não vou ficar discutindo [seus métodos]”.

A declaração é do âncora do “Jornal da Band”, Ricardo Boechat, que, de maneira bem coerente, vê como fundamental a existência dos institutos de pesquisas.


Boechat também entende que é preciso colocar as coisas nos seus devidos lugares:

“No caso, o Ibope é o mais antigo, consolidou-se não apenas no Brasil como em outros mercados. Criou uma marca, uma tecnologia, uma credibilidade“, ressalta.


Questionado ainda sobre a possibilidade de o alemão Gfk passar a aferir audiência dos canais brasileiros, Boechat também se manifestou:

“Que venha concorrência em tudo, na pasta de dente, no papel higiênico, no absorvente… e no instituto de opinião, por que não?. Quem não gosta de concorrência é quem não tem competência para se estabelecer”.

E colocando o futebol como exemplo, finalizou, “acho ótimo que o Neymar enfrente concorrente à altura, senão ele já vai se achar um Messi”.

 

 

 

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos Nery

Carol Castro vai fazer filme do Lampião

 

Carol Castro, campeã da “Dança dos Famosos”, já tem novo trabalho após a novela “Amor à Vida”. Ela vai integrar o elenco do longa-metragem “Lampião – O Filme”, com Paulo Goulart Filho e direção-geral de Bruno Azevedo. Dadá, a mulher de Corisco, será a sua personagem.

A atriz inclusive já participou de uma reunião, no Rio, com toda a equipe. No elenco também foram confirmados Adriano Garib e Roberto Bonfim.

 

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos Nery

Analice Nicolau vai ao cabeleireiro tratar da sua volta ao SBT

 

Os frequentadores da Igreja São Gabriel, no Itaim, viram na quinta-feira Analice Nicolau saindo do Jassa, por acaso, onde também se encontrava Silvio Santos entregue aos cuidados da competente equipe daquele salão. Alias, conforme fotos no Facebook.

Analice lá esteve especialmente para tratar da sua volta ao SBT, de onde saiu há pouco menos de um mês.

Agora é esperar pelos próximos capítulos.

 

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos Nery

Globo Mar poderá ficar de fora da grade 2014 da Rede Globo

 

O jornalista Ernesto Plagia não tem essa informação como oficial ainda, mas admite que são grandes as possibilidades de o “Globo Mar” ficar fora da grade da Globo no ano que vem.

Aponta como principal motivo, o calendário, que será muito apertado na próxima temporada, em função de fatores como Copa do Mundo e Eleições.

No entanto, se comenta também que essa pausa na exibição do “GM” está diretamente relacionada à proposta do lançamento do “Planeta Extremo” como programa, em 2014, nas noites de quinta-feira – as gravações inclusive já estão acontecendo há algum tempo. E, uma vez que dois corpos não podem ocupar o mesmo espaço, deduz-se que…

Paglia, por sua vez, que recentemente apresentou a série “Vai fazer o quê?”, no “Fantástico” – sobre reações das pessoas frente a diversas situações, como violência, embriaguez…, segue na equipe do programa, aguardando instruções para novos trabalhos.

 

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos Nery

Walter Zagari pagou a conta de uma festa cara

 

A alta direção da Record se reuniu ontem, em um almoço no restaurante Zucco, para comemorar os 60 anos da emissora.

A conta foi paga pelo vice-presidente comercial, Walter Zagari

 

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos nERY

Os Donos da Bola fará cobertura da Copa do Mundo da FIFA Brasil 2014

 

“Os Donos da Bola”, do Neto, na Bandeirantes, será apresentado das cidades-sede durante o período da Copa do Mundo.

O programa, vale destacar, tem se colocado entre as principais audiências da Band no último mês, com média de 3 pontos.

 

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos Nery

Confira as novidades do Esporte Interativo para o mês de novembro

 

O Esporte Interativo vai mudar sua plataforma de produção, a partir da implantação do HD em novembro.

A gestão de conteúdo e videografismo será feita através do sistema VIZRT.

O EI-HD é o primeiro fruto do investimento que a Turner fez, recentemente, no canal.


Junto com o projeto de alta definição, o Esporte Interativo vai estrear o Social TV, um sistema inédito no Brasil, que integra as redes sociais à sua tela.

Isto irá permitir, por exemplo, que os seus produtores possam rastrear com eficiência os temas que estão sendo comentados naquele momento, e de que região partem os comentários, no Twitter e no Facebook.

 

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos Nery