Dangerous fugitive on the run in Hamilton

Daniel Haumaha

ON THE RUN: Daniel Haumaha.

A dangerous fugitive is on the run and should not be approached, Hamilton police warn.

Daniel Haumaha, 24, of Te Awamutu, is believed to be armed and on the run from police.

Detective Senior Sergeant Ross McKay said armed officers, along with the Waikato armed offenders squad, and a police helicopter, cordoned off a property in Dinsdale Rd this afternoon.

“A search of the property was conducted in relation to the aggravated robberies of a Super Liquor store in Lynden Court on Thursday night, the Tuhikaramea Superette on Friday night and the targeting of a TAB, adjacent to the Hamilton Workingman’s Club on King St, Frankton, the same evening.

“Nine people have been bought back to the Hamilton central police station and are helping us with our inquiries.

“To date none have been arrested and we are seeking the public’s help in locating an identified offender who is still at large.”

McKay said Haumaha was described as a male Maori, of medium build and about 175 centimetres tall.

“If you recognise him or have information on his whereabouts we urge you not to approach him but to ring 111.”

If people have any information on his whereabouts, they should call 111 or the anonymous Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111.

 

‘Please tell me that wasn’t on webcam’: ADFA cadet’s plea

August 20, 2013 – 6:13PM

Christopher Knaus

POLICE REPORTER FOR THE CANBERRA TIMES.

Former ADFA cadets Dylan Deblaquiere, left, and Daniel McDonald, centre, leave the ACT Supreme Court after appearing in relation to the ADFA skype scandal.

Former ADFA cadets Dylan De Blaquiere, left, and Daniel McDonald, centre, leave the ACT Supreme Court after appearing in relation to the ADFA Skype scandal. Photo: Jeffrey Chan

A female ADFA cadet has described the man who streamed vision of their sexual encounter to a roomful of fellow students as a ‘‘scumbag’’.

The young woman made the remark as she clashed with the defence lawyer for two men on trial over the so-called ADFA Skype scandal.

Daniel McDonald, 21, and Dylan De Blaquiere, 20, are fighting charges in the ACT Supreme Court related to the alleged Skype sex incident at the Australian Defence Force Academy campus in March 2011.

McDonald is accused of secretly broadcasting consensual sex with the complainant using his laptop’s webcam.

Advertisement

It is alleged he streamed the vision to six other cadets in De Blaquiere’s room via Skype.

The main issue in the trial is expected to be whether the female cadet consented to broadcasting the sex.

The pre-recorded evidence of the female cadet, who was 18 at the time, continued on Tuesday, the second day of the trial.

The court heard she and McDonald had exchanged messages via Facebook and SMS on the night, organising to meet up after a check parade at 11pm.

Under cross-examination, it was put to her that she was wrong in evidence she had given to explain why the records of the timings of the Facebook messages were ‘‘out of whack’’.

She replied: ‘‘You can endeavour to make me look bad as much as you want … but your scumbag of a client filmed me having sex without my consent and that is the only fact that matters,’’ she said.

After the sex, the complainant said she returned to her room.

She said she logged onto her computer and discovered McDonald had accidentally sent her a message on social media.

It boasted ’’about to root a girl n [sic] have a webcam set up to the boys in another room’’.

The female cadet wrote back saying “please tell me that wasn’t on webcam”.

She said McDonald quickly called her and told her it wasn’t, and that the message was a prank by a friend.

Earlier on Tuesday, the court heard the woman went into shock when she was first heard the sex may have been broadcast.

She was sick in hospital, and was visited by a member of the Australian Defence Force Investigative Service.

The investigator told her the consensual sex had been filmed and streamed to a group of other cadets via Skype.

“I was quite shocked. I went into shock,” the female cadet said.

She said the investigator later told her that police believed it was not a crime according to ACT law, and that it was not serious enough for the ADFIS to investigate.

The female cadet told the court she became frustrated that nothing was being done about what happened, telling the court she was “at wits end”.

She said she decided to go to the media, despite her superiors recommending against it.

The cadet called Ten News and arranged for an interview, telling a reporter that she had been filmed having sex, with the vision streamed to cadets in another room.

The trial continues before Acting Justice John Nield.


Canberra Times

Three weeks to go, can Labor still win? Oh, yes

August 20, 2013

John McTernan

Despite the polls, Labor can turn the tide with a ruthless strategy of attack.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd makes stawberry sundaes at the Ekka.

The big sell: Kevin Rudd makes strawberry sundaes at the Ekka on the Queensland campaign trail. Photo: Andrew Meares

This election has always been Labor’s to win. Starting behind, it needed messages and policies to cut through to the public to get the momentum necessary to overtake the Coalition. Two weeks in, and with three weeks to go, that remains the case. Can Labor pull back the poll deficit and win? Definitively yes. How? Well, as Ronald Reagan used to say, ”It’s not easy, but it is simple.”

Labor needs to be relentless in its pursuit of the Coalition on costings. This may seem like an abstract, indeed arid, area of debate. But it goes to competence.

Most importantly, Kevin Rudd has to project a clear picture of Australia’s future with Labor. This election is, in reality, a choice of two futures. Tony Abbott has committed himself, rather oddly, to a policy platform that is almost entirely driven by Labor and the Greens. He will implement Labor’s DisabilityCare and Julia Gillard’s legacy Better Schools and he will reverse Labor’s mining tax and carbon price. Oh, and then there’s his own emblematic policy of paid parental leave – hated by his own side and business, and backed solely by the Greens, no wonder since it’s a tax on big business to expand state welfare massively.

Parties of the centre-left can only win with a compelling vision based on future and fairness. The absence of a Coalition vision should make this contest so much easier. The best policy has edge, crunch and lift. It cuts through to the public, it is specific and it inspires.

Advertisement

That happened last week with Rudd’s promise on gay marriage – four days after the dull debate Katy Perry was raising it to Abbott’s discomfort. More should be made of Better Schools. The backflip by Christopher Pyne and Abbott should be mercilessly attacked, but the real weakness is that the Coalition is literally tax and spend on this issue.

It will give the extra cash to states, the Catholic system and independent schools with no strings attached. Bill Shorten, and before him Peter Garrett, have tied agreements to raising schools standards. There is no better issue for connecting with the aspirational suburban voters that Labor needs to bring back.

Then, Labor needs to be relentless in its pursuit of the Coalition on costings. This may seem like an abstract, indeed arid, area of debate. But it goes to competence.

Joe Hockey cannot be allowed to bang on for three years about debt and deficit and then say it doesn’t matter whether his numbers add up. He has made the bottom line the symbol of economic management. So be it. Now it’s his turn.

Take paid parental leave, a policy costing $6 billion. Do the numbers add up? Certainly not, at the very least the 1.5 per cent levy falls short simply because the fall in corporation tax has been part of the collapse in revenues that Labor has suffered. But more, that levy is intended to be balanced by a 1.5per cent cut in corporation tax. So there are, in reality, two spending commitments. How on earth does that work?

A sustained attack on costings would hurt the Coalition because it goes to credibility. Abbott’s trademark since he became Opposition Leader has been discipline – both personally and in his caucus and the Liberal Party. He has been disciplined everywhere except in spending; here he remains true to his true Big Government self. Attacking here wedges him with his party, which is nervous about this side of him.

Which brings us to the final strand of an effective election strategy – negative campaigning.

In politics attack is the best form of attack. James Carville, who got Bill Clinton elected, said it best: ”If your fist is down your opponent’s throat he can’t say bad things about you.”

All voters always say they hate negative ads. Who wouldn’t? What they are really saying is that they are not shallow or venal enough to be moved by malice, money or misrepresentation. But their votes say something different. The right attacks – the ones that resonate – move votes. So, Labor is right to campaign on GST. Eight out of 10 voters believe that if there were wall-to-wall Liberal governments then the GST would be increased.

What makes this scare campaign even better is that the Coalition if elected would review the GST. Even the least attentive of punters would agree with the proposition: why would they review it if they don’t plan to increase it.

As for Abbott, his gaffes have to be seen, and portrayed, for what they are – revelations of character. Until we see a politician in the job of prime minister we don’t know how they will go. So we have to read the clues. The remark about the ”sex appeal” of a woman in that context was just casual sexism. Saying gay marriage is a ”fashion” reveals a deeply held view. We are seeing Abbott’s character and character goes to judgment.

A Labor head-kicker should be relentlessly pursuing these errors.

Labor can turn the tide with a ruthless strategy. The alternative is the drift to acceptance of the ”inevitability” of a Coalition victory. It’s still all to play for.

John McTernan is a political strategist and was former prime minster Julia Gillard’s director of communications.

Canberra Times

Liberal candidate Kevin Baker stands down over offensive website

August 20, 2013 – 6:47PM

Daniel Hurst

Federal political reporter

 

Kevin Baker, the Liberal candidate for Charlton.

Kevin Baker, the Liberal candidate for Charlton. Photo: Simone De Peak

The Liberal candidate at the centre of a controversy over offensive comments on a web forum has quit.

Kevin Baker’s name will still appear on the ballot paper as the Liberal candidate because nominations closed last week and early voting started on Tuesday, but he is considered unlikely to win Charlton.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott had signalled he would consider Mr Baker’s future as the candidate for the NSW Labor-held seat after he came under fire for running a car enthusiasts’ website that included racism and offensive comments about women.

Advertisement

Labor demanded Mr Abbott dump Mr Baker as his candidate for former minister Greg Combet’s seat of Charlton over the “Mini-Mods” web forum.

The forum, which has been pulled down since the criticism broke, featured a general discussion section with the banner: “Talk about anything you want – no censorship, no stress!”

According to a report in the Daily Telegraph, the forum included jokes calling the Pope  a paedophile, referring to women making love on pool tables and “Tit banter”.

In a statement issued late on Tuesday, Mr Baker said he had decided not to run as the Liberal candidate for Charlton.

“I understand that while my name will still appear on the ballot paper, my campaign is over,” he said.

“I deeply regret the posts made on my website and decided that it was not appropriate to continue as the party’s candidate.”

NSW Liberal Party state director Mark Neeham said the party had accepted Mr Baker’s resignation.

“Consequently the party will not be represented in Charlton at the election,” Mr Neeham said.

An Australian Electoral Commission spokesman said electoral laws required that after nominations closed and the ballot paper order was drawn, “they are the ballot papers that are used for voting; no changes are made”.

The Liberal party disendorsed Pauline Hanson for the Queensland seat of Oxley in 1996, but the ballot papers had already been printed and she was elected with the party next to her name. The dumping meant she entered Parliament as an independent.

Labor currently holds the NSW seat of Charlton on a 12.7 per cent margin and Pat Conroy is running for the ALP. Mr Conroy was the deputy chief-of-staff to the retiring MP, former climate-change minister Greg Combet.

Liberal sources said Mr Baker was extremely unlikely to win the seat despite his resignation – especially after the web forum controversy and with Mr Baker ceasing campaigning.

At an earlier media event, Mr Abbott said he would be briefed on the issue, but noted Mr Baker had apologised for the comments.

“He’s done the wrong thing. To his credit he’s pulled down the site. He has abjectly and quite properly apologised but, yep, he’s done the wrong thing,” he said.

Mr Abbott had left the door open to potentially dumping Mr Baker as a candidate, saying he would review further information about the issue later on Tuesday.

“I’m going to receive a further briefing on this later today,” Mr Abbott said.

In a statement, the Labor campaign said Mr Baker’s website “included offensive references about incest, domestic violence, racism and child abuse” and “jokes about having sex with strippers”.

“Mr Abbott has no option but to follow the lead of former prime minister John Howard.

“Following the close of nominations in the 1996 election Mr Howard publicly ’disendorsed’ the then Liberal candidate for Oxley Pauline Hanson after derogatory comments she had made,” a Labor statement said.

“Even though she would still appear on the ballot as a Liberal on polling day, Mr Howard said Ms Hanson would never be welcome in the Coalition party room.”

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd had called on Mr Abbott to dump Mr Baker as a candidate, although he initially fumbled his lines.

Mr Rudd said Mr Abbott should “show some leadership and man up” and remove the candidates for Dobell and McMahon (where Liberal candidate Ray King has come under fire over his appearance before the Wood Royal Commission).

The Prime Minister later admitted he meant to refer to Charlton and McMahon.

With Judith Ireland

Brisbane Times

Dozens saved, five drown north of Christmas Island

20 August 2013

20h47

Judith Ireland, James Robertson and Michael Bachelard

 

Up to five asylum seekers are believed to have drowned after their boat capsized off Christmas Island on Tuesday.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority received a request for help from a person on board the boat on Tuesday, about 120 nautical miles north of Christmas Island, in an area believed to be in Australian waters. A customs plane spotted the partially submerged boat shortly after noon.

By 3.30pm, 106 people were recovered from the water. But at 6.30pm on Tuesday night AMSA called off the search. Information from rescued passengers suggested as many as five people were unaccounted for. Their bodies had not been found.

The navy’s HMAS Parramatta was joined by a merchant vessel in conducting the rescue operation.

Advertisement

The deaths at sea come as the federal government faces a legal challenge to its resettlement plan, which it says would mean no asylum seekers who arrive in Australia by boat would be resettled here.

This is the first reported boat crisis in Australian waters since Labor announced its new asylum seeker policy in late July.

It comes after two boat disasters last month, where a baby boy and four people died in two separate incidents. In June, 13 people died in another disaster.

The government has claimed that boat arrivals have fallen by as much as 30 per cent since the PNG plan was announced, although a Fairfax Media analysis showed the drop was less than 20 per cent.

Meanwhile, Iran, the country responsible for the bulk of Australia’s recent influx of boat arrivals, has snubbed a meeting of ministers and diplomats in Jakarta to address the issue.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Indonesian president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono proposed the one-day ”Special Conference on the Irregular Movement of People” as the key announcement from their bilateral meeting in Indonesia in July.

The conference is touted as an ”action-oriented” meeting, presumably to differentiate it from the regular Bali Process meetings which have shown few concrete results.

Australia has sent two ministers – Foreign Minister Bob Carr and Immigration Minister Tony Burke – but some other countries sent more junior representatives, while Iran did not respond to the invitation.

Until recently, Iranians were the single largest cohort of people coming to Australia from Indonesia on boats arranged by people smugglers. This is likely to change after Indonesia cut off the right of Iranians to a ”visa on arrival”. That ban begins this week.

Indonesia has said it will change its extradition law to include the offence of people smuggling.

Senator Carr said the flotilla planning to sail and protest against Indonesia being in Papua would get no consular assistance if they are tried and jailed by either PNG or Indonesia for entering their territory.


 

Brisbane Times

Fox Sports já começa a pensar na chegada de segundo canal

 

 

O lançamento do segundo canal do Fox Sports, em janeiro, é a prioridade de agora.

Só no momento seguinte se pretende organizar a cobertura da Copa do Mundo do ano que vem, incluindo-se contratações para reforçar a equipe.
A Fox Brasil, inclusive, será o ponto de apoio das demais emissoras Fox de todo mundo, que também estarão representadas por aqui.

Ficamos assim. Mas amanhã tem mais. Tchau!

 

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos Nery

Arena São Paulo poderá receber 4000 jornalistas na abertura da Copa

Impressions of Arena de Sao Paulo visit

Segundo números oficiais, o estádio do Itaquerão, do Corinthians, poderá receber até 4 mil jornalistas na abertura da Copa no ano que vem.

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos Nery

Record pretende iniciar a exibição da novela Pecado Mortal no fim de setembro

 

 

Inicialmente, a Record pretende estrear a novela “Pecado Mortal” entre os dias 23 e 25 de setembro…
… Mas tudo vai depender do que as suas concorrentes – Globo, especialmente – têm para apresentar no período.

 

Flávio Ricco com colaboração de José Carlos Nery