BOWEN FALLS: A Chilean teenager died while visiting the Milford Sound waterfall
Police have released the name of the Chilean teenager who fell 161 metres to his death from a South Island waterfall on Saturday.
He was Martín Ambrosio Celery-Halabi.
Sergeant Pete Graham said the teenager’s parents had arrived in Invercargill today.
Police will examine the scene at Milford Sound today after he fell to his death from the top of the Bowen Falls.
Acting Senior Sergeant Dave Kennelly, of Invercargill, said the 19-year-old slipped while taking photographs and fell.
“It is believed that one of the members of the party was taking photographs when he slipped and fell some distance to the base of the falls.”
Celery-Halabi was at the falls with two friends, Kennelly said.
The pair searched for their friend but were unable to find him and ran back to the Milford village to raise the alarm, Kennelly said.
Rural firefighters and the Milford emergency response team searched the area in the dark and located Celery-Halabi’s body floating in the water at 6.30pm.
A Department of Conservation spokeswoman said the Bowen Falls track had not been used in years and the final parts of the walkway were taken away last month.
However, the trio could have used an unofficial track known by locals which followed a hydro pipe up to the falls, she said.
Police would complete the scene examination today and take photos of the area.
The Celery-Halabi’s body was taken to Te Anau on Saturday night and then to Invercargill yesterday.
The man was working in Milford Sound as a boat host.
CLIQUE AQUI para visualizar o ensaio completo
CLIQUE AQUI para visualizar o ensaio completo
August 13 2017 11:49 PM
The first live show of Haqeeqat, a new Urdu radio programme, was aired on Qatar’s Urdu Radio Service on SUnday. The programme is a collaboration between Gulf Timesand Qatar Media Corporation Urdu Radio. The broadcast will be run Sunday to Thursday on FM107.
Haqeeqat – Reality in Urdu and Al Haqeeqah in Arabic — is aimed at engaging and interacting with the large South Asian expatriate community in Qatar.
Riaz Ahmed Bakali, the first guest on the show, spoke on the recent hacking of Qatar News Agency (QNA) in the backdrop of the recent Gulf crisis on the show. Bakali, who has been the IT head at Qatar Petroleum, said there is no doubt in the fact that hacking did take place.
“We have the logs to prove it and a log file can never lie,” he said.
Bakali also explained the ways through which systems can be hacked and how hackers use it as a medium to spread lies and false propaganda.
Adeel Akbar will be the guest of today’s show that will be broadcast at 8pm. Akbar is an engineer and works for the Ministry of Interior maintenance department. He has been working in Qatar for nearly 40 years.
Log on to Qatar Urdu Radio on Facebook and ‘@QatarUrduRadio’ on Twitter for feedback and comments.
Source : Gulf-Times
August 13 2017 11:02 PM
Kuwait’s budget balance is expected to return back to a surplus of 2.2% of GDP in 2017 due to a recovery in hydrocarbon revenue but then average 1.2% in 2018-19 as the government continues its investment spending programme, the QNB Group’s report says.
Kuwait’s non-hydrocarbon growth is expected to accelerate to an average of 4.1% over 2017-2019 as the authorities implement an investment programme that aims to upgrade refineries and infrastructure, a report by QNB Group said.
The report, Kuwait Economic Insight 2017, examines recent developments and the outlook for the Kuwaiti economy.
“Opec production cuts, which we assume will last until the end of 2018, will depress non-hydrocarbon growth in 2017-2018.
However, oil output will likely be quickly ramped up in 2019 to pre-cut levels, providing a boost to growth,” it added.
Oil prices are forecast to recover as the market shifts from excess supply to excess demand in 2017, but prices will be capped by US shale costs, averaging $55/b in 2017, $58/b in 2018 and $60/b in 2019.
The report said inflation is projected to decline modestly to 2.9% in 2017 on falling rents, but then spike in 2018 with the expected introduction of value added tax (VAT). Thereafter, prices should ease in 2019 as the base year effect of the VAT dissipates and the rest of the basket is expected to be broadly stable.
The government’s budget balance is expected to return back to a surplus of 2.2% of GDP in 2017 due to a recovery in hydrocarbon revenue but then average 1.2% in 2018-19 as the government continues its investment spending programme.
The government is in the midst of an investment drive aimed at increasing refining capacity as well, developing infrastructure. Some signature projects include an expansion of the airport and the development of a national railway.
Revenue should receive an additional boost from VAT implementation in 2018, the report said.
The current account is expected to return to an average surplus of 2.8% of GDP in 2017-18 on rising oil prices and then rise to 4.7% on a pick-up in oil production in 2019.
The capital and financial account (CFA) should witness a surplus of 4.7% of GDP in 2017 due to a $8bn international sovereign bond issuance.
Beyond 2017, the CFA should return to a deficit as current account surpluses are invested abroad, the report by the QNB Group said.
Source : Gulf-Times
August 14 2017 12:29 AM
NHRC said that it would have been more practical for the siege countries to act and make efforts to address the violations promptly by ending the injustice
Qatar’s National Human Rights Committee stressed yesterday that the complaint submitted by the siege countries to the High Commissioner for Human Rights was a desperate attempt to hinder the committee’s efforts to protect human rights.
The committee stressed in a statement released yesterday that it will continue to work professionally in accordance with international law and the Paris Principles and shall remain committed to defending human rights and victims.
It highlighted that it was the first institution of its kind in the GCC region and the only accredited “A” status in the Gulf since 2010.
The committee said that at a time when they were looking forward to end the injustice done to the victims by the blockade and its humanitarian repercussions on the citizens and residents of the GCC countries, the committee was shocked to know about the complaint submitted last week by the blockading countries against it to the High Commissioner for Human Rights through its permanent representatives to the United Nations in Geneva.
The statement added that the complaint included demands to withdraw the “A” Status (the highest status accredited to NHRIs by the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions) from NHRC, which entails the highest level of institutional credibility and independence from the Government in accordance with the standards established by the UN (the Paris Principles).
The complaint has been preceded by systematic distortion campaigns against NHRC launched by some parties and media, as well as accusations and threats made by some high-level officials in these countries, in a critical precedent that has never been witnessed in the work of national human rights institutions around the world.
The committee said that it would have been more practical for the siege countries to act and make efforts to address the violations promptly by ending the injustice and responding to demands of NHRC, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, United Nations Special Rapporteurs and international human rights organisations, instead of obscuring violations, targeting human rights defenders, human rights organisations and national institutions, and obstructing their work.
The statement also said that it would have been more appropriate for these countries to open the way for their human rights organisations to work together to resolve and address the violations, rather than wasting time in submitting statements and complaints that don’t have any legal effect on NHRC’s efforts.
The committee stressed that this complaint was an explicit condemnation of the practices of the besieging countries and a compelling proof of restricting the activities of human rights defenders.
The committee then called upon the special rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions and international organisations to act to counter the vicious and systematic campaigns against human rights activists and organizations.
NHRC has remained in constant contact with High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions among other organisations since the beginning of the siege on June 5.
It stressed that the decisions and measures taken by the siege countries represented collective punishment and a siege against Qatari citizens and anyone who lives in Qatar.
The measures also represented a clear violation of all international laws and conventions related to human rights.
Source : Gulf-Times
Homs, SANA – A woman was injured Sunday in a terrorist mortar attack in al-Rastan area to the north of Homs city, in a new violation of the de-escalation zone agreement.
SANA reporter in Homs stated that the terrorist groups situated in al-Ameriyeh village in the countryside of al-Rastan area targeted with mortar shells the houses of citizens in Ein al-Dananyer village, injuring a woman and causing material damage to the houses and properties.
Earlier this month, an agreement was reached to include the northern side of Homs to the de-escalation zones in Syria.
Source : Syrian Arab News Agency
Tashkent, Uzbekistan (UzDaily.com) — The second Uzbek-Korean forum on free and open source software will be held in Tashkent on 15 August 2017.
The forum is organized by the Ministry of Information Technologies and Communications of the Republic of Uzbekistan jointly with the National IT Industry Promotion Agency (NIPA).
During the forum, participants will discuss the use of free and open source software in various industries.
The participants of the forum will also get acquainted with the main tasks for effective organization of activities of the Mirzo Ulugbek Innovation Center.
Source : UzDaily
Tashkent, Uzbekistan (UzDaily.com) — Working groups of government delegations of Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan in the joint demarcation commission held a meeting.
According to the press service of the Uzbek Foreign Ministry, the talks were held in Jizzakh from 7 August to 11 August 2017.
The parties in a constructive and friendly atmosphere discussed the issues on the agenda of the meeting, following which the relevant protocol was signed.
Source : UzDaily