Qantas probes claims in-flight headphones made by abused Chinese inmates

Qantas: "Very concerned" about the claims.

Qantas: “Very concerned” about the claims. Photo: Getty Images

Qantas has launched an investigation into allegations that the airline purchased in-flight headphones made by inmates at a Chinese prison who were regularly beaten and held in solitary confinement if they failed to meet production targets.

The airline said it had immediately suspended its dealings with Vietnam-based Airphonics, one of its main suppliers which is accused of contracting out work to a third Chinese company that uses prison labour in China to fill large orders.

A Qantas spokesman said the company was “very concerned” by the allegations and had suspended its use of the supplier until an investigation was carried out.

The Australian Financial Review spoke to two former inmates of Dongguan Prison, in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong, who alleged that they had made headphones for numerous international airlines.

Advertisement

One of those inmates, New Zealander Danny Cancian, said he had made disposable earphones for Qantas, British Airways and Emirates. He had also made small inductors used in electrical appliances for local companies which supplied the companies Electrolux, a major player in the Australian market, and Emerson.

Mr Cancian, who was serving a four-year jail sentence for manslaughter following a restaurant brawl, told The Australian Financial Review that prisoners who failed to meet production targets were “taken outside and Tasered”.

“It’s a very cruel environment. You wake up every morning wondering if you are going to survive the day,” he told the newspaper.

Prisoners are paid eight yuan ($1.40) a month for their labour, and Mr Cancian claimed they worked more than 70 hours a week.

All companies contacted by the Australian Financial Review denied any knowledge of the use of prison labour in their supply chain.

In a statement, a Qantas spokesman said the airline had been assured by its main supplier that it met the airline’s strict standards.

“The allegation that one of our suppliers of headsets, which is based in Vietnam, used a third-party supplier in China to help fill an order go against the verbal and written assurances we’ve had from our supplier that their supply chain process met our standards, including the ethical treatment of workers,” the spokesman said.

“Qantas places very strict conditions on suppliers and we conduct regular audits of factories ourselves to ensure those conditions – which include no forced labour – are met.

“To be clear, Qantas has no relationship with the Chinese-based company at the centre of the AFR’s claims.”

June 26, 2013 – 9:09AM

Brisbane Times

“Poderiam ter me ajudado mais”, diz Zina sobre integrantes do “Pânico”

Humorista participou do “Balanço Geral” desta terça (25)

https://i0.wp.com/natelinha.ne10.uol.com.br/imagem/noticia/78394aa5f4a94a63b55ab49a56276415.jpg

Em uma nova entrevista ao ?Balanço Geral SP?, da Record, o humorista Zina, que fez muito sucesso no ?Pânico? há alguns anos, falou sobre o tratamento para se livrar de seus vícios.

Zina está em uma clínica de desintoxicação para viciados em drogas desde que saiu da cadeia, no início deste ano. Ele tem dois advogados que estão cuidando de todos os problemas jurídicos que o humorista tinha.

Para quem não sabe, Zina tem esquizofrenia, além de ser dependente químico e alcoólico. Mais uma vez, ele conversou nesta terça (25) com o apresentador Geraldo Luís sobre o tratamento: ?Tá sendo difícil, já melhorei muito da esquizofrenia, mas quero melhorar mais ainda pra voltar pra casa. Estou dormindo às 8 horas, 8 meia da noite, melhorei muito?.

Questionado, Zina revelou que ainda guarda um pouco de mágoa do ?Pânico?: ?Não tenho rancor, mas poderiam ter me ajudado mais. Foram pra Band, né? Eu tô sabendo, mas não estou vendo mais?.

Ele ainda não tem previsão para sair da clinica, mas Geraldo Luís prometeu levá-lo a um jogo do Corinthians assim que ele sair do local.

Zina começou a ficar conhecido ao falar de maneira engraçada o nome do jogador Ronaldo.

NaTelinha

Meninga blasts disrespect shown to Myles

Maroons coach Mal Meninga says he's sick of the disrespect shown to Nate Myles, who was on the receiving end of Paul Gallen's punches in Origin I.

Maroons coach Mal Meninga says he’s sick of the disrespect shown to Nate Myles, who was on the receiving end of Paul Gallen’s punches in Origin I. Photo: Mark Metcalfe

Nate Myles didn’t get much of a chance to defend himself in game one but his coach, Mal Meninga, has come to his aid before game two, lashing out at what he considers to be disrespectful treatment of his gun forward.

Blues captain Paul Gallen was the man throwing the punches before halftime at ANZ Stadium but much of the pre-game build-up to Wednesday’s round two in Brisbane has focused on Myles and how he allegedly uses his head in tackles.

The Blues were reported to have lodged an official complaint with referees boss Daniel Anderson, which highlighted their concerns about the way Myles uses his head in tackles.

And one betting company has even created a cut-out Nate Myles mask, complete with enormous forehead. It may be in jest but Meninga has run out of laughs.

Advertisement

He said Myles had done and said nothing to stir up any trouble since game one and there should be more respect shown for a player who has become Queensland’s forward leader since the retirement of Petero Civoniceva.

“He’s been unfairly picked on over the last so many weeks since game one. I think it’s been a little bit disrespectful what’s happened to him,” Meninga said.

“Some of the things they’re going to hold up with the big foreheads, I think that’s disrespectful to be honest with you. He’s a great bloke and a great player and a great Queenslander.

“He’ll play to the best of his ability tomorrow night. He hasn’t said anything.”

Meninga was referring to a cut-out mask from Sportsbet, who say the Dread the Head campaign was to support Myles, not mock him.

Myles has hardly fanned the flames after he wore the volley of punches from Gallen. After the 14-6 defeat, he even went as far as saying Gallen shouldn’t even be charged.

The ensuing storm after the one-sided dust-up has ensured anyone who resorts to fisticuffs in game two will find themselves in the sin bin. That is fine with Meninga, who said his squad hadn’t even mentioned Gallen or potential square-ups this week.

“We don’t talk about it. We never talk about it. It’s media hype. That happened in game one,” Meninga said.

“We’re going to be aggressive. It’s a combative sport. We want to win that contest. From our point of view, it’s not about going the biff.”

There will be two new faces in the Queensland side on Wednesday night in Josh Papalii and Daly Cherry-Evans. Meninga said both had added a spark to the group and wouldn’t be overwhelmed by the task in front of a sold-out home crowd.

“They’re great young kids. They’ve enjoyed the week. They get a chance to run out there and they’ll play really well for Queensland, I can guarantee you that,” Meninga said.

“They’ve fitted in really well. They’ve added some enthusiasm to our make-up.”

Papalii can start slowly in games and Meninga will surely be tempted to give him some early game time in the middle of the park to whet the appetite. But he ruled out throwing him straight into the starting side.

“We’re not playing any secretive games. Our starting team deserves to be starting and that’s how it’s going to be,” Meninga said.

Blues coach Laurie Daley and Meninga have had differences over offside rulings and whether markers have been square but that’s white noise come game day. Meninga said he simply hoped for a fair go for both sides and the referees played no part in the outcome.

The Queenslanders haven’t left much to chance over the years but things weren’t going well for New South Wales on Origin eve. Their team bus got stuck on a roundabout leaving Suncorp Stadium after training and the team had to take a fleet of cabs back to the hotel.

Meninga, smiling no doubt, saw it all unfold from a Queensland Former Origin Greats lunch.

“That’s a good sign isn’t it? A bit of an omen hopefully,” he said.


Brisbane Times – 26 June 2013

Números de ontem do TV TOTAL

Country Views
Brazil FlagBrazil 548
United States FlagUnited States 45
Portugal FlagPortugal 22
United Kingdom FlagUnited Kingdom 3
Canada FlagCanada 2
Monaco FlagMonaco 2
Switzerland FlagSwitzerland 1
Ecuador FlagEcuador 1
Japan FlagJapan 1
Chile FlagChile 1
Netherlands FlagNetherlands 1
Sri Lanka FlagSri Lanka 1

Audiência do programa Eliana no dia 23/06/2013

É a primeira vitória da loira sobre o seu novo concorrente.

A disputa por preciosos pontos de audiência segue bastante acirrada. Neste domingo, 23/06, Rodrigo Faro e Eliana brigaram pela vice-liderança. A loira do SBT levou a melhor.

De acordo com a apuração do Ibope, Eliana marcou uma média de 9 pontos, ante 8 de seu novo concorrente. Um ponto no Ibope equivale a 62 mil domicílios.

É a primeira vitória de Eliana sobre o programa “O Melhor do Brasil”, que agora é exibido aos domingos, no horário antes destinado a Gugu Liberato.

O Planeta TV

How much is a flight to Rio?

 

 

Anxiety. Hope. Bravado. Belief. Frustration. Fear. Joy. And finally, relief. The Socceroos stretched out the tension as long as they could at Stadium Australia. Now we can celebrate and begin to consider the task ahead.

The Socceroos love the drama, don’t they? It’s only in hindsight that we can see how the smooth ride to the 2010 World Cup was an anomaly. This time, they stuck to the script like an episode ofGame of Thrones.

For 80 long minutes they toiled, searching for that opening, pushing to create that one moment that would break the stubborn Iraqi defence and pushing the fans’ nerves to the edge.

Thank God for Mark Bresciano’s cultured right boot and Josh Kennedy’s head. The two body parts that saved Australian football.

On one hand, it was a good performance. Many have questioned of Holger Osieck’s Socceroos were capable of taking it to teams when they needed a result – and they did that against Iraq.

Australia were positive and attacking. Everyone was involved in moving the ball forward and searching for space; there was pace on the wings and desire through the middle of the park. For 15-20 minutes of each half, the Socceroos dominated their opposition.

As such, it was, on the other hand, a frustrating performance. This was Iraq, not Brazil. The visitors were resolute and energetic, a team containing four teenagers, already out of qualifying, who continually pressed and denied the Socceroos.

Australia weren’t granted any of the space they enjoyed against Jordan, every inch was a battle. And how many clear-cut chances did they create?

Questions remain in key areas too, such as the viability of the central defensive pairing of Neill and Ognenovski, who certainly would have struggled against more experienced attackers. Matt McKay is a fine midfielder but not such a fine left back. For all his qualities, Tim Cahill continues to struggle in the lone striker role and Osieck’s preferred formation through qualifying has often left the team toothless.

The question now is how much can the team develop in the year until they board a plane to Brazil? After committing the foundations of his squad to the veterans, Osieck has shown the door is open to those young players who can take the next step.

We got a glimpse of that against Iraq, with Robbie Kruse, Tom Rogic and Tommy Oar creating an exciting and vibrant attacking midfield trio with plenty of potential and skill. Ivan Franjic’s inclusion in the squad also shows the door isn’t closed on A-League players either.

Australian footballers are on notice. Much of the Socceroos squad appears to be locked in but there are opportunities for bolters in those positions of doubt. The World Cup is the pinnacle, the dream of all players – and that target should inspire every single Australian over the next year.

Next month Australia will take part in the East Asian Cup, competing against the biggest football nations in Asia. After that, there will be five or six international friendlies throughout the year, with one (as yet unconfirmed) against Brazil.

Who from last night’s squad won’t make it? Is Ognenovski’s place in doubt, after being recalled for the last two games? Will Matt McKay’s struggles at left back mean a chance for Michael Zullo or Shane Lowry?

Will Osieck use his upcoming games to experiment just a little with formation and selection?

And finally – and most importantly – how much is a plane ticket to Brazil? And how do I convince my wife that this trip is purely for work? Any suggestions welcomed…

The views expressed in this article are solely those of the author, and do not reflect those of Football Federation Australia.
Football Federation Australia