Korea DPR high on agenda for security dialogue in Singapore

By Oh Seok-min

 

SINGAPORE, May 29 (Yonhap) — South Korea is set to engage in vigorous diplomacy in Singapore to fine-tune strategies with the international community in dealing with the ever-growing threats from North Korea, officials said Friday.

The 14th Asia Security Summit, better known as the Shangri-La Dialogue, is set to kick off later in the day for a three-day run, bringing together defense chiefs and experts from major Asia-Pacific and European countries.

The forum, hosted by the British think tank of the International Institute for Strategic Studies, is to be a venue for Seoul’s Defense Minister Han Min-koo to garner international support and boost defense ties with global partners on pending security issues, including how to deter and counter Pyongyang’s nuclear and missiles threats.

On Saturday, bilateral talks with his counterparts from the U.S., Japan, Thailand and Indonesia are scheduled, as well as a trilateral meeting with the U.S. and Japan. The following day, Han is scheduled to meet with Chinese, Australian, Singaporean defense chiefs before flying home, according to his office.

The conference came at a time when the communist North has ratcheted up tensions by launching a series of provocative actions. Earlier this month, Pyongyang announced that it had successfully fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile, while claiming that it has already made nuclear warheads small enough to fit on a missile.

“Based upon stronger policy coordination with countries concerned, we will explore ways on how to persuade North Korea to change its course,” Seoul’s defense ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok said. “After all, there is a strong international consensus on the need to take action against the North’s evolving threats with asymmetric capabilities.”

graceoh@yna.co.kr

(END)

 

 

Yonhap News

Seoul slams Pyongyang for slandering president

South Korea lashed out at North Korea Thursday for slandering its President Park Geun-hye, urging the communist state to stop resorting to vulgar invective and immediately come out for dialogue instead.

In recent weeks, Pyongyang has hardened its rhetoric against Park as she criticized the North’s provocative moves, including its recent underwater test of a submarine-launched ballistic missile and woeful human rights conditions.

Seoul, along with Washington and Tokyo, has also moved to strengthen pressure and sanctions against Pyongyang, triggering an angry response from the North. The reclusive state called Park a “rare wicked woman” and “a loyal dog of a (U.S.) colony” in a white paper published Wednesday.

“It is very regrettable that the North has defamed the head of state representing (South Korean) people,” said an official at Seoul’s Unification Ministry, declining to be named.

“We call on North Korea to stop the slander that does not help the two Koreas reopen bilateral dialogue. We also call on it to respond to our calls for talks and move out onto the path of inter-Korean development and reunification.”

Amid the exchange of harsh words, observers raised the possibility that the isolated country could set off provocations unexpectedly in a show of force and displeasure rather than coming forward for dialogue.

The North has used blatant words to attack Park in a series of commentaries in its state media including the Rodong Sinmun, the daily of the ruling Workers’ Party; the Korean Central News Agency; and the Minju Joseon, a newsletter for the North’s cabinet.

On Thursday, Uriminjokkiri, a propaganda website run by the North’s Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland, criticized Park’s visit to the U.S., slated for June 14-18, saying that it would undermine the preparation of an inter-Korean ceremony in Pyongyang to mark the 15th anniversary of the so-called June 15 inter-Korean declaration.

“(Park’s visit to the U.S.) will be a perilous gambling that puts the security of the Korean Peninsula and the region at risk,” the website said in its commentary.

Meanwhile, Seoul’s chief nuclear envoy Hwang Joon-kook and his U.S counterpart Sung Kim flew to Beijing Thursday to hold separate bilateral talks with China’s point man on North Korea’s denuclearization, Wu Dawei.

Their trip to China came the day after they held a trilateral meeting with their Japanese counterpart Junichi Ihara in Seoul to discuss the escalating nuclear threats from the North.

Their talks with the Chinese envoy are expected to focus on stressing China’s responsibility in addressing North Korea’s nuclear issue and coordinating a joint response to its enhancement of nuclear capabilities including the technology to develop an SLBM.

By Song Sang-ho (sshluck@heraldcorp.com)

 

The Korea Herald

Kim Yo-jong re-appears after 50 days amid childbirth

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s younger sister, who was believed to be pregnant, made her first public appearance in about 50 days, the North’s media reported Friday, cementing speculation that she might have given birth in May.

Kim Yo-jong, 28, accompanied the young leader on his field guidance to a tree nursery, which is being constructed by the Korean People’s Army (KPA), according to the North’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

In April, South Korea’s spy agency said that Kim would likely give birth in May, adding that her husband may be an alumnus of her alma mater, Kim Il-sung University. The agency did not provide more details.

Kim Yo-jong made her last public appearance April 12 when she accompanied the current leader on his inspection to the construction site of a second airport terminal in Pyongyang.

Experts said that her absence seemed to back up speculation that she has recently given birth.

In November last year, North Korea unveiled her official title: deputy director of the North’s ruling Workers’ Party of Korea.

Both the current leader and his sister were born to Ko Yong-hui, known as the fourth wife of late leader Kim Jong-il. (Yonhap)

The Korea Herald

Walter Casagrande Júnior sofre infarto e é internado em hospital de SP

Walter Casagrande Júnior sofre infarto e é internado em hospital de SP

O ex-jogador e comentarista da TV Globo, Walter Casagrande Júnior, sofreu um infarto na manhã desta sexta-feira (29).

Segundo informações do site GloboEsporte.com, o profissional de 52 anos está internado na Unidade de Terapia Intensiva (UTI) do hospital TotalCor, em São Paulo.

Casagrande sentiu fortes dores no peito logo pela manhã e foi levado rapidamente para um hospital em Alphaville, na Grande SP. Depois, foi transferido para a outra clínica, que fica na região da Avenida Paulista.

Na tarde de hoje, o comentarista foi ao Twitter e comentou: “sentindo o peso da idade”. Casagrande é considerado um dos mais importantes atacantes do futebol brasileiro na década de 80 e 90. Foi revelado pelo Corinthians em 1980, e em 1982 participou do famoso time da Democracia Corintiana. Os jogadores se mobilizavam em contrariedade às concentrações antes dos jogos, bem como apoiavam o movimento das Diretas Já. Durante esta época, Casagrande viveu a melhor fase de sua carreira, jogando ao lado de craques como Wladimir, Zenon, Biro-Biro e Sócrates.

Jogou a Copa do Mundo de 1986 pela Seleção Brasileira, ficando no banco de um time que tinha Careca e Muller como titulares. Entre 1987 e 1993, jogou no futebol italiano, fazendo muito sucesso no Ascoli e principalmente no Torino, onde foi campeão da Copa da Itália, fazendo dois gols na final. Encerrou a carreira sendo um dos maiores artilheiros do Corinthians, com 256 e 103 gols anotados.

Desde 1996, é comentarista esportivo. Começou a carreira na ESPN Brasil, mas em 1997 foi contratado pela Globo. Na noite do dia 28 de setembro de 2007, o ex-jogador sofreu um grave acidente de carro e ficou internado no Hospital Albert Einstein. Casagrande chegou a ficar em coma por 24 horas, mas recuperou-se rapidamente, recebeu alta e, alguns dias depois, foi internado em uma clínica para dependentes de drogas, por conta da sua dependência em heroína, cocaína e chá de cogumelo.

Segundo informações da revista Placar, Casagrande só poderia deixar o local quando recebesse alta dos médicos, e não por vontade própria. Ele ficou isolado, tendo apenas contato com os médicos e podendo conversar com a família nos dias de visita.

Retornou à televisão participando do programa “Arena SporTV”, no dia 20 de abril de 2009, quase dois anos após o incidente. Voltou para a Globo em 22 de junho de 2009 no “Globo Esporte”, mas o seu retorno as transmissões de partidas de futebol aconteceu em 29 de julho de 2009, de onde nunca mais saiu.

Na última quarta (27), comentou o jogo entre Palmeiras e ASA (AL), pela Copa do Brasil.